Men’s soccer declaws Cougars with final-minute goal

Forward Alen Winn (18) takes the ball downfield. Winn scored two goals for the Tar Heels Tuesday night against College of Charleston.

Sandwiched between two wins against top-25 teams and an upcoming game against No. 5 Wake Forest, UNC wasn’t able to catch a break against the unranked Cougars. The Tar Heels spent much of the game in a heated deadlock before sophomore Alan Winn broke through for the game-winner.

The Tar Heels finally got on the scoreboard in the 34th minute, when Winn headed in a cross from sophomore Zach Wright.

The Cougars struck back in the 40th minute, as former Tar Heel and current College of Charleston junior Nico Rittmeyer headed in a goal after a free kick.

UNC scored its second goal to take the lead in the 73rd minute off of a penalty kick by senior Raby George.

Charleston wouldn’t give up, though, netting a goal in the 75th minute to tie the score at 2.

In a tense final two minutes, the Tar Heels seemed to have netted the game-winner when Winn put the ball in the back of the net off of a pass by redshirt junior Tucker Hume. But the goal was called offsides.

The game appeared set to go into overtime when, with half a minute remaining, Winn’s kick was deflected into the net by Cougar senior defender Tucker Coons for the game-winner.

The goal came off of a corner kick by junior Omar Holness, who hadn’t played for the Tar Heels since Sept. 26 against Duke due to injury.

The Tar Heels maintained their status as one of the three remaining undefeated Division I teams, and remain atop the ACC.

Quotable

“They were competing very well; they were outcompeting us in several ways. They’re a really good team. We didn’t underestimate them from the beginning or anything, they were just an unbelievable team.” – Winn on the Cougars’ effort.

Notable

UNC’s 11-0-1 record marks the best start in program history and includes a 5-0-0 record in ACC play.

3 numbers that matter

2: UNC had only given up two goals in a game once this season in a 4-2 victory against then-No. 2 Notre Dame.

6: Winn netted his sixth goal of the season, tying him with Hume for the team lead.

9: With their ninth victory in a row, UNC tied Coach Carlos Somoano’s longest win streak, which came in 2011.

What’s next?

UNC plays Wake Forest in Winston-Salem on ESPN3 at 7 p.m. on Oct. 17.

@James_Tatter