UNC football claimed the Coastal Division in overtime on Saturday

Marquise Williams (12) runs the ball downfield during the game against Virginia-Tech Saturday.

BLACKSBURG, VA. — A legendary coach’s goodbye. A senior day sendoff. A chance for Virginia Tech to tarnish North Carolina’s shot at a Coastal Division crown.

Before North Carolina’s 30-27 overtime victory at Virginia Tech on Saturday, the Tar Heels knew they would be tested against the Hokies.

It was, as Coach Larry Fedora described, “a perfect storm.”

“Everything was going against us,” he said. “They had the tribute to Coach (Frank Beamer) and they needed to get bowl eligible and it was the seniors’ last day in this stadium, and the black unis. Whatever you want to call it. It was all going against us.”

For three quarters, the Tar Heels muddled through their worst offensive performance of the season — punting the ball on six of seven drives after scoring a game-opening touchdown.

But after two touchdowns by sophomore tailback Elijah Hood gave UNC a 24-10 lead, players started talking about division championship rings.

The Tar Heels looked like they’d survive the trip to Blacksburg, seize the win and spoil Beamer’s farewell. But the storm was brewing.

“Coach says every week, ‘Adversity is going to hit, chaos is going to hit. You’ve just got to look at it in the face and make the next play,’” said senior receiver Quinshad Davis. “We knew adversity was going to hit sooner or later. And it did in the fourth quarter.”

Virginia Tech cut UNC’s lead to 24-17 after a fumble by redshirt senior quarterback Marquise Williams, scoring a touchdown on fourth-and-goal. Moments later, Williams fumbled again and the Hokies recovered.

The crowd roared. Lane Stadium shook. And with just over a minute remaining in regulation, Virginia Tech tied the game at 24.

In less than three minutes, the Tar Heels went from having the Coastal Division title nearly in their grasp to facing the same demons that plagued UNC so many times in seasons past. But this team was determined to be different than its predecessors.

The Tar Heels held the Hokies to a field goal on the opening possession of overtime, giving the UNC offense a chance to end the game on its terms.

“We practice those situations all of the time,” Hood said. “We just went out there, and we executed. We found a way. Things didn’t ever really go our way the whole game, but we pulled it together.”

Williams found receiver Ryan Switzer for an 18-yard gain on UNC’s first play. And on third-and-goal, the quarterback redeemed himself, throwing a 5-yard touchdown pass to Davis.

“Coach said, ‘We’re throwing it to No. 14,’” said Davis, who wears that number. “And I was like, ‘Good deal, Coach. I’ve been telling you that — throw it to me.’ And I got lined up one-one-one, like they’ve been doing all day, and I beat him on the route.”

The Tar Heels stormed the field, mobbing Davis in the end zone. The celebration continued to the locker room, where the team was presented with the Coastal Division trophy.

UNC took a game where everything seemed to go wrong and the obstacles appeared insurmountable, mustering the right plays to secure the historic win.

“We went through so much just to get here,” Williams said. “A lot of people don’t know what we’ve been through. (Inside) those four walls at Kenan Stadium, it’s been rough, man. But we found a way to continue to keep winning.”

UNC’s seniors came to Chapel Hill determined to lead a turnaround. A bowl ban in 2012, three years of probation and a losing season in 2014 prevented them from doing so.

But on Saturday, as they have been forced to do in the past, the Tar Heels weathered the storm. And if lightning strikes again, they’ll be ready.

@patjames24