Nicole Greene earns All-ACC honors at ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships

We won!
We won!

The ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships held in Boston ended on Saturday with four All-ACC honorees from North Carolina. 

One of those honorees for UNC first-year Nicole Greene from Ponte Vedra, Fla. Greene, whose best jump came in at 1.80 meters, earned a second-place finish in the women's high jump. 

Although some athletes would be satisfied with a team-high second-place finish, Greene is not one of them.

“It was a really good experience, but I didn’t like how I performed,” she said. “But it was still OK. I’m really happy with my team, especially the women’s team. They did really good and we have a lot of improving to do, but still, we have a really strong, young group on the women’s side.”

Coach Harlis Meaders had nothing but praise for Greene, calling her the most decorated athlete on the women’s team this season. 

“I think she’s ranked number 10 in the country right now,” Meaders said. “And for a freshman to do that while at a conference meet, and while at the ACC championships, is really a phenomenal job.”

Despite having only spent one semester at UNC thus far, Greene doesn’t seem to be affected by the transition from high school to college athletics.

“I wasn’t expecting this,” she said. “Everyone says that freshman year, your transition year, it’s OK if you don’t hit your personal record from high school or if you’re not performing as well. But I’m pretty happy with what I’ve been doing, even though I’d like to do better.”

Upon hearing Meaders’ praise, Greene said she felt honored by her coach’s comments, but remained humble, citing the improvements she still has to make.

“Improving on my focus during my performance and also just getting above my personal record,” she said. “It’d be really nice to get 6 (feet) 3 (inches) before this summer.”

Quotable 

“For the women’s team, as a whole, our sixth-place finish was a very good finish for that group of young ladies. I think they competed extremely well. I think our men’s team has got some growing to do, but I think we have a very talented group of young men and I think we’re going to be a better team once we go outside.” — Meaders on his team's performance. 

Notable

The North Carolina women's 4x400 relay team ran a season-best 3:46.45. 

Three numbers that matter

.03: The length separating Greene from a first-place finish in the women's high jump. She jumped 1.80 meters, while Miami’s Dakota Dailey-Harris jumped 1.83 meters. 

0: No UNC male athlete placed in the top three at the event. 

3: The number of UNC competitors, aside from Greene, who placed in the event. Redshirt junior Tory Kemp, junior Emily Godwin and redshirt junior Sarah Howard each placed third in the pentathlon, high jump and shot put, respectively. 

What's next?

The team will send athletes to compete in both the USA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Portland, Ore., and the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Birmingham, Ala., on March 11 and 12. 

@Nicole_Caporaso