'Onward on': Behind the mentality propelling UNC's Alex Phillip to record-breaking season

UNC CROSS COUNTRY
UNC graduate Alex Phillip during the ACC cross country championship at the Apalachee Regional Park in Tallahassee, FL on Friday, October 27, 2023. Photo courtesy of UNC Athletics.

Coming down the home stretch of the 10,000-meter race at the Bryan Clay Invitational, graduate runner Alex Phillip held up a number three. Right before he crossed the finish line he changed the three to a one, signifying not only his first-place finish but also his path to Chapel Hill.

Division III to Division I.

Phillip’s college journey is unique. He transferred to North Carolina this past year from John Carroll University, where he established himself as one of the best runners in D-III history. He holds several D-III records and is a seven-time national champion.

Now, he has made his mark in UNC’s record books.

At the Bryan Clay Invitational in Azusa, California, Phillip’s 10k time of 27:51.26 beat the school record, previously set by Alex Ostberg in 2022, by nearly a minute. He now has the best time in the ACC, set a new meet and facility record and secured a spot at the Olympic qualifiers in June.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to go to the Olympic trials,” Phillip said. “Eight years ago it just seemed so, so far away. And so to have all of that hard work culminate into one moment of finishing that race, it was really special.”

Heading into the meet, Phillip and his coach Ian Moini didn't have an ideal time in mind. It wasn't something they discussed.

“It was awesome because the time was a byproduct of the way he competed,” Moini said. “Everything we talked about in the week leading into that race was like, ‘Let’s just go win the Bryan 10k.’”

'He provides a really valuable perspective'

Phillip started running in second grade when his mom took him to a local 5k in Ohio. He was miserable, but she made him stick with it through middle and high school, where the sport blossomed into something he loved.

Coming out of high school, Phillip reached out to every college coach in Ohio asking if he could join their team. Most coaches turned him down. Instead of becoming discouraged, Phillip went to JCU, which he said ended up being a great fit and set him up for lots of success. 

After racking up many accomplishments in his four years at the D-III level, Phillip decided to enter the transfer portal. After talking with him, Moini realized Phillip was “the real deal” and offered him a chance to compete at the Division I level.

Director of UNC track and field Chris Miltenberg told FloTrack that Phillip's “blue-collar mindset” and “want” to be on the team has had an amazing impact on the Tar Heels.

“He provides a really valuable perspective to our guys,” Moini said. “He’s earned everything he’s got and he’s developed year by year.” 

‘Onward on’

Phillip’s success didn’t happen overnight; it came from his determination. He celebrates the little marks along the way — like hitting a new time — while also constantly looking for the "margins" (getting enough sleep, eating well) he can focus on to get to the next level. 

“He’s worked really, really hard to be able to consistently perform that kind of standard,” Moini said.

Phillip’s mentality boils down to the mantra "onward on." The phrase, coined by his previous school, is one that has followed Phillip throughout his running career and can be seen at the bottom of his Instagram captions. 

“You lose, you win, things go well, things go bad, onward on,” Phillip said. “You keep pressing on, you keep persevering, you keep working hard because if you can stick to the little things, keep working hard, eventually you’re going to find some success.” 

His attitude has made a huge impact on the team and he has become a mentor for the many of the underclassmen. 

Teammate and running partner Parker Wolfe said Phillip is a "really good training partner" and has “pushed him a lot this fall and spring, just in workouts and every day.” 

“He shows that you can work hard enough to get to where you want to be,” Wolfe said.

‘It takes a village’

Phillip’s support system has been an important factor in his career. From his mother encouraging him to continue running to his girlfriend supporting him through the ups and downs, Phillip has a good village behind him that he said makes all the difference. 

John Carroll head coach Kyle Basista played a large role in Phillip’s development as a runner. Basista believed in him out of high school when no one else did, and Phillip said he is the reason he is “capable of doing what he has been doing.” 

Thinking back on his past five years of collegiate running, the little moments with his teammates make Phillip the happiest. Whether it is traveling on the bus, at team dinner, hanging out in the hotels or celebrating the big wins, he said these are the memories that will stick with him. 

He did not always love running, but through consistency and patience, he is now having a record-breaking final campaign at UNC.

“It’s really cool to have a dream so many years away," Phillip said, "And to see it come to fruition after years and years and days and days of hard work."

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com