UNC track and field reaches podium five times in Hilton Garden Invitational

After its meet in Blacksburg, Va., was canceled a week ago, it was important for the North Carolina track and field team to come out firing on all cylinders.

And in the Hilton Garden Invitational in Winston-Salem, the Tar Heels didn't disappoint.

First-year Nicole Greene participated in the high jump on Friday and cleared 1.78 meters, finishing second and placing higher than any other collegiate athlete. She finished second to Brianne Theisen-Eaton, who won the silver medal in the heptathlon in the 2013 and 2015 World Championships.

Redshirt senior A.J. Hicks joined Greene on the podium with a second-place finish in the men’s weight throw. Hicks threw 20.76 meters, adding to his already impressive season.

Redshirt first-year Alex Cooke also had a solid outing, setting a personal record for women’s weight throw with a sixth-place finish of 17.83 meters.

On Saturday, first-year Katlin Sherman found success in the women’s 200-meter dash, finishing first with a time of 24.60 seconds.

The Tar Heels also fielded two distance medley relay teams, with the women earning second place and the men finishing third.

In Friday's Camel City Elite races, redshirt junior Mark Derrick finished in eighth in the men’s 3,000-meter run and redshirt senior Lizzy Whelan took seventh place in the women’s 800-meter run.

Quotable

“To have a chance to compete against world-class competition is rare, and they performed well." — Coach Harlis Meaders on his team's performance.

Notable

This season, the Tar Heels have only competed in the state of North Carolina, making next weekend’s meet in Blacksburg, Va., the first meet beyond the state border.

Three numbers that matter

0: Hicks has had zero finishes outside the top three of every event he's competed in this season.

5: North Carolina earned five top-three finishes on the weekend.

0.05: Sherman finished 0.05 seconds away from qualifying for the women's 60-yard dash final.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels will travel on Friday to the Doc Hale Invite in Blacksburg, Va., where UNC's canceled meet was to be held.

@MichaelFreije