Holi Moli celebrates Hindu holiday in colorful way

Wednesday night, 2,500 UNC students announced the arrival of spring, and no groundhogs were needed. 

They threw packets of colored powder into the sky to celebrate Holi Moli, a Hindu tradition that marks the beginning of spring. 

The large celebration was made possible by collaborative efforts from four student organizations — Sangam, Campus Y, the Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Outreach committee of student government and Hindu YUVA. 

“I thought it was so dope," said senior Audreina Blanding. "I’m a senior right now, and I’m really upset that I waited until my last year to do this." 

Last night was UNC’s 9th annual Holi Moli celebration. This year, the event implemented a few changes, including a new time. 

But sophomore and Holi Moli executive board member Saumya Goel said she did not think the changes deterred students from attending and having a good time. 

“This year, we changed it to a weekday and a night, but I think people really liked that,” Goel said. “There are so many people here — even Carol Folt — and I think they really enjoyed it."

The name of the event comes from Holi, the traditional colored powder thrown in the air as the celebration begins. At 8 p.m., attendees threw their Holi, and some were caught off-guard by the colorful dust that took over Hooker Fields. 

“I didn’t expect the dust clouds, and I didn’t expect not being able to see. It was all a little unexpected, but it was great," Blanding said.

Students also threw the powder at their roommates, classmates and even those they may have never met before. This is what sophomore and Holi Moli logistics co-chairperson, Neil Harwani, said is one of the best parts of the celebration. 

“Our campus atmosphere is very inclusive, but at the end of the day everybody has their beliefs,” Harwani said. “But at Holi, it doesn’t matter who you are or what you do — you’re gonna come together and have someone you don’t know throw paint on you.”

Even after the powder washes out, Harwani said he hopes participants understand and embrace the event’s core purpose of uniting communities regardless of any existing social, economic or cultural differences.

“Our biggest mission is getting students to get the cultural significance behind it, so they’re not just thinking it’s a color run without the running,” he said.

Harwani, who got involved with the celebration last year, said it’s one of his favorite things about being a student at UNC.

"It’s a time for everyone to gather build community and just to eradicate anything that divides us,” he said.

Harwani said he got involved with the UNC event because he had already celebrated Holi with his family in India.

He also said his family was amazed when he showed them how UNC celebrates the holiday.

“When I showed them that this is what we do in my state — on my college campus — they were shocked,” he said.

Harwani said he is grateful for how UNC has truly embraced the tradition he grew up with, and that it showcases the school’s diverse student body.

“For the University to support and embrace it on such a big level is so nice to see — it really celebrates the diversity we have at UNC.”

@yayjennic