North Carolina women's tennis breezes by Syracuse

The No. 4 North Carolina women’s tennis team recorded its second straight shut-out against to remain unbeaten in conference play. 

The Tar Heels (18-2, 6-0 ACC) visited fellow ACC opponent Syracuse on Thursday afternoon for a match that proved to be a breeze. 

The tone was set early on when senior Ashley Dai and first-year Chloe Ouellet-Pizer came out with a quick 6-2 victory in doubles over Nicole Mitchell and Maria Tritou. 

Junior Hayley Carter and senior Whitney Kay followed with another 6-3 win in doubles over Syracuse’s Valeria Salazar and Gabriela Knutson. 

Kay carried over the momentum from doubles play into her singles match on court two with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Salazar. Sophomore Marika Akkerman put the Tar Heels up 3-0 on court six with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Libi Mesh. Ouellet-Pizer clinched the match on court five with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Dina Hegab. 

Carter continued her top-ranked dominance over Anna Shkudun for a straight set win. The sweep by the Tar Heels was finalized whenever first-year Jessie Aney and senior Kate Vialle defeated their opponents with a pair of three-set wins on courts three and four. 

Quotable

“Beating a team 7-0 on the road was a very challenging venue for us, but everybody played extremely well. Our team is talented all of the way down the line.” — Coach Brian Kalbas on his team’s performance. 

Notable

The new Oracle/ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings were released on Tuesday and ranked Carter No. 1 in both singles and doubles play. 

Three numbers that matter

0: UNC lost 0 single or double matches against Syracuse. 

2: The number of matches that went into three sets against Syracuse. 

8: UNC has had consecutive victories in its last eight matches. 

What’s next?

North Carolina will host Notre Dame on Saturday at 11 a.m. 

@jordymae012