Solarize the Triangle gets 2016 campaign started

Solarize the Triangle, an organization dedicated to raising awareness about the benefits of using solar energy, kicked off its 2016 campaign on Tuesday at St. Thomas Moore Catholic Church in Chapel Hill.

Solar energy experts explained the economic and environmental benefits of solar energy usage in homes. The organization has had a major impact in the area — Solarize the Triangle has helped create 40 new solar-powered houses in Chapel Hill and 135 total houses in Orange County.

Sally Robertson, Solarize coordinator for N.C. WARN, said solar power is beneficial to households because it is cost effective and avoids further harming the environment with fossil fuels. 

"Climate change is very serious and solar is a way to provide power to your home without burning fossil fuels," Robertson said. "There's also economic benefits because it saves people money on their electric bills. Prices of electric bills are just going to keep going up, but with solar they are kind of locking a lower cost.

Bob Weickert, co-chairperson of the environmental stewardship committee at St. Thomas Moore Catholic Church, said he encourages those who are capable to adopt the use of solar energy to make the environment better. 

"For those that have the right situation personally and physically, I think solar is extremely important, because I'm a big believer of centralized energy,” Weickert said.

Jay Linke, energy specialist for Yes Solar Solutions, said solar energy is gradually becoming a widely accepted form of electricity in Chapel Hill because of its increased involvement and benefits. 

He said interest in solar energy has been growing in Chapel Hill and that more and more people have been attending Solarize the Triangle meetings and getting involved.

"It's clean energy, it's cheaper, you're not supporting Duke and we are doing pretty much anything we can do to reduce dependence on fossil fuels," Linke said.