It has been a challenge and a privilege writing for you all every other week.

Being a columnist has forced me to sharpen my thinking and writing in a way I never could have imagined. However, I can confidently say I have fulfilled the purpose I designated for myself with each piece I have produced. That purpose was to challenge myself to think critically about events around me and encourage others to do the same.

To do so, I strived to analyze and investigate “hot topics” from a unique angle.

More importantly, however, I strived to write in a way that provided a tangible take away.

1. Regardless of who or what you are, pursue your interests authentically and unapologetically.

2. Holding a title does not permit you or anyone to belittle the trials and tribulations of an individual or community — in public or in private.

3. It is essential that every individual — regardless of race or background — have an understanding of their legal rights.

4. Using stereotypes for comedic effect or attention may have an irreversible, unexpected impact.

5. Become educated on each candidate before voting (whether for an organization, state office or Presidential race) as opposed to selecting a candidate based on arbitrary factors.

6. Think about the privileges you possess, the platforms you can access and the purpose with which you navigate both.

7. Although it may be difficult, when engaging in conversations about public figures, it is necessary to differentiate the art from the artist.

8. The celebration and exploration of underrepresented populations should not be single-faceted or limited to one month.

9. Before you say (or type) something, ask yourself: Is it nice? Is it true? Is it necessary?

10. There is value  in looking back and examining the past, which can benefit not only an individual but also those around them.

11. You pick and choose your battles in addition to selecting your weapon –– and there is no right or wrong answer.

12. It is important to think of EVERY member of a group or team, not just the starters and the well-known names.

Intentionality is incredibly important to me, so I wrote each of my pieces with these ends in mind.

To me, it is important that I say these things now because you may not have heard them before, and there is a chance my message may have been lost in examples, references or aggressive comments.

If you don’t agree, I hope that you at least consider what I have said and hopefully have a conversation with someone about the columns’ topics.

Even if you don’t, you reading has accomplished the goal I’ve had all along.

Regardless, thank you for reading, commenting and supporting The Daily Tar Heel. We wouldn’t be who we are without you.