UNC baseball takes advantage of poor pitching in win over East Carolina

The No. 20 North Carolina baseball team defeated East Carolina, 9-1, at Boshamer Stadium on Tuesday. It was the Tar Heels' (31-17, 10-14 ACC) second victory over the Pirates (30-17-1, 11-6-1 AAC) this season.

What Happened?

The Tar Heels got off to a good start offensively in the bottom of the first inning, as first-year designated hitter Brandon Riley put his team on top 1-0 early with an RBI single.

The Pirates threatened in the top of the second inning after junior Luke Bolka got his team's first hit of the game with two outs. The next batter, senior Jeff Nelson lined a ball past the diving third baseman. The ball got stuck under the outfield fence forcing a ground rule double, causing Bolka, who was only steps away from home plate, to return to third.

After Tar Heel starter Hunter Williams was removed in the top of the third inning after walking the leadoff hitter. Junior A.J. Bogucki came in in relief. After a groundout to second moved the runner over, a wild pitch by Bogucki moved the runner to third. UNC would again pitch out of trouble.

In the top of the fifth, Bogucki would again pitch out of trouble after giving up a double with two outs to Eric Tyler. The next batter, catcher Travis Watkins hit a single to right field, and Adam Pate threw the runner out at home to end the inning. Junior Tyler Ramirez added to his teams lead in the bottom half of the inning with a solo home run.

The bottom of the sixth was the crucial inning for North Carolina as they added five runs to its lead with the help of five walks from the Pirates pitching staff.

Bogucki was brought into the game in relief of Williams in the top of the third with no one out. He got a quick out, and after a wild pitch advanced the runner to third, he followed up with a strike out and a ground out to get out of the inning. 

He pitched four innings while giving up no runs. He finally showed signs of tiring in the top of the seventh after a long rest. After giving up a single and throwing a wild pitch in the frame, he was removed from the game.

“A.J. has been a strike thrower for us. He’s really improved in his career here. He’s been a starter before so throwing 59 pitches, that’s what he’s capable of doing,” said Coach Mike Fox.

The game was put out of reach in the bottom of the 6th inning, not because of anything the Tar Heels did right, but because the East Carolina pitching staff gave the game away.

After walking the first two batters that he faced, Denny Bradley was replaced by first-year Matt Bridges, who picked up where his teammate left off. He hit the first batter he faced, loading the bases, and then walked first-year Kyle Datres to make the score 4-0. Sophomore Brian Miller was also walked later in the inning, bringing in another run.

After the second out was recorded in a fielder’s choice at the plate, Ramirez was also walked, making the score 6-0.

The Pirates would then make another pitching change. Logan Warmoth, the first batter faced, hit an infield single to third base that scored the final two runs of the inning.

After losing a series at home to No.5 Louisville, the Tar Heels were able to bounce back with a blowout win over No. 21 ranked East Carolina. 

This is the team’s fifth straight non-conference victory. The win gets the team back on the winning path heading into a road game against UNC-Wilmington, the final non-conference game of the season.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Wilmington to take on the UNC-W Seahawks at 6 p.m.

@CPhillips2020