Welcome back to campus, Tar Heels! The sun is out, first-years are lost and a cappella groups are searching for new blood with almost the same level of fake enthusiasm as UNC Dance Marathon recruiters.
While most of us won’t fall prey to the siren song of 15 voices blending in (almost) perfect harmony with no instruments, you will inevitably end up hearing them at a concert, random club charity event and/or in the Pit. While a cappella is a fun and inevitable part of UNC student life, sometimes you wish you had a drink to get through it.
Fortunately the DTH has you covered — here’s your guide to turning the setlist into a drinking game!
TAKE A SHOT EVERY TIME:
- Somebody is wearing a bowtie
- A soloist closes their eyes to make you really feel the ~emotion~ of the song
- There’s a member wearing a hat and that’s clearly all they contribute to this group
- An Adele song is performed
- A Justin Bieber song is performed
TAKE TWO SHOTS EVERY TIME:
- Somebody starts rapping
- Somebody starts beatboxing solo
- Somebody does jazz hands
- You want to die at the banter between songs
- The concert has a semi-coherent plot
- Outfits change
- You get handed an honest-to-God program at the beginning
- Somebody gets off-tempo with the light swaying
FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
- There’s a shout-out to an a cappella grad between songs
- Two (or more!) of the members have clearly hooked up
- You’re encouraged to contribute to a charity between songs
- A group member makes an uncomfortable political reference
- The group thanks the fans
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.