Public art piece coming to Orange County Animal Services Center

Two local organizations are partnering to create a new piece of public art at the Orange County Animal Services Center on Eubanks Road.

The Orange County Arts Commission (OCAC) and the Animal Services Center are raising money to commission an outdoor 3-D sculpture outside the main entrance of the Animal Services Center, said Lynne Albert, chairperson of the public art committee of OCAC. 

She said the OCAC has been searching for a new site for a public art project for over a year, and the Animal Services Center seemed like the perfect place. 

“We had previously commissioned ‘Sit and Stay’ (sculptures) at the Animal Services Center and someone suggested we contact them to see if they had any space," Albert said. "We contacted Bob (Marotto) to see if they were willing to raise money for the project and he agreed."

Bob Marotto, director of animal services at the Animal Service Center, said he was thrilled when the OCAC approached him regarding the new sculpture. He views the project as a means of increasing community involvement and interaction with the center. 

“The mission of the Orange County Animal Shelter is to help animals and people both, and I think that adding art helps us to continue to nourish the very goal to make Orange County Animal Services a destination,” Marotto said. “There’s this whole historical transformation that our shelter locally has been part of to recreate animal shelters and animal services centers as a positive, desirable part of our community, and I think that this is a part of the ongoing process."

$5,000 needs to be raised to complete the project, Marotto said.

The OCAC has pledged to match the amount that the Animal Services Center raises up to $2,240, he said.

Once the funds are raised by the Dec. 31st deadline, the OCAC will reach out to local artists who will submit proposals for the project. One artist will be selected by the OCAC to construct their piece.

A donation of $1,000 was recently made by the Friends of the Orange County Animal Shelter (FOCAS), a local private organization that works to support the efforts of the Animal Services Center. 

Elliot Cramer, FOCAS president, is enthusiastic about the county’s involvement in the project and what it will mean for the community. 

“I called Bob and asked if there was anything we could do to help and he mentioned the art project," Cramer said. “We have modest funds, but we want to help in any way that we can.”

Marotto says that the Animal Services Center is planning on raising the rest of the money through local donations. Donors can access the community-giving fund on the Orange County website, where they will be able to make a tax-deductible, direct donation to the Animal Services Public Art Project Fund. 

“When we say ‘making it a destination,' it’s making people want to come, making people enjoy their time here. It means that people are more likely to come and adopt (animals), more likely to come and volunteer,” Marotto said. “It all helps with the care and quality of the life of the animals and those are all really significant in doing what we do. It’s not just a lofty example, it’s a meaningful, consequential goal because we can’t do what we do if people don’t want to come and visit us."

@molly_horak