Current students were only children when the attacks in New York City, Washington D.C. and rural Pennsylvania occurred on Sept. 11, 2001. Students shared what they remembered about the day in the moment, the period of time after and how it impacts their lives now. 

Mark Morrison 

Junior

"You don’t know who is doing what and who is being affected at any given point in time. It kind of opened my eyes as to know we are all together … The entire United States population was united within one building and when the planes hit, it was almost like a symbol of the union of the United States coming down in one.”

Lauren Smith 

Sophomore

"We’d always have a big moment of silence after the Pledge of Allegiance. Sometimes I remember having little worksheets that we did about it — just learning more about it."

Caroline Owens 

Junior

"At the time, there was a lot of emphasis on, when we came back to school, on nationality and nation-building and community-building. I remember we did activities where we like made American flags, and of course it was a kindergarten class so it was very low-level activities of that nature. I remember there being an emphasis on coming together.”

Grace LeGrand 

Senior

"I remember kind of what happened afterward because I was just really confused, and when it did happen, I remember everything kind of just stopped for a while because 9/11 had happened."

Michael Koh 

Junior

"I honestly don’t remember anyone being really panicked so that really speaks to their perseverance, making it seem like a normal day. Of course in retrospect, it wasn’t. I got home and I remember (my mother) had the TV on and it kind of looked fake, I want to say. It looked like a movie."

Kate Elliott 

First-year

"I think it’s just important to remember what happened for those who passed away and not let it influence our global view. And don’t take hate from the event with it, just remember what happened and try to make the world a better place so it doesn’t happen again."