ITA Carolina Regional ends with Sara Daavettila on top

The North Carolina women's tennis team hosted the five-day ITA Carolinas Regional this weekend, and came away with potentially two more National Indoor qualifiers after an all-Tar Heel singles final Monday that saw first-year Sara Daavettila claim a three set win (2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2) over sophomore Jessie Aney.

Thursday saw the start of doubles play. The UNC duo of redshirt senior Rachael James-Baker and sophomore Chloe Oellett-Pizer began their tournament with a bye and then an 8-3 victory over Corrine Blythe and Alice Taylor from UNC-Greensboro to propel the pair into the third round. The 10th-seeded UNC doubles duo lasted until Sunday, when they were taken down in a third set tiebreaker, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (7), in the semifinals by Caroline Dailey and Mia Horvit of South Carolina.

On the singles side, three Tar Heels advanced as far as the quarterfinals. First-year Alexa Graham fell in a third set tiebreaker to N.C. State’s Martina Frantova, while sophomore Jessie Aney and first year Sara Daavettila advanced. The advancing pair also won their semifinals matches, with Daavettila avenging Graham’s loss to Frantova, creating an all-UNC matchup in Monday’s final.

Daavettila, the No. 1 recruit in the nation according to tennisrecruiting.net, came in as the top seed. Aney, the third seed, was a standout first-year herself a year ago, setting up a competitive final between two of UNC’s star underclassmen.

After dropping the first set of the final, Daavettila claimed the next two for the win and the automatic qualifying spot for the National Indoor Championship. According to Coach Brian Kalbas, Aney still has a strong chance at claiming a wildcard spot to the tournament.

The UNC first-years excelled in their first home matches as Tar Heels. Both Graham and Daavettila made it to the quarterfinals, with Daavettila winning the whole thing. The two first-years were among the top-10 recruits in the country, and lived up to the hype with their performances over the weekend.

The Tar Heels experienced the ideal situation at the end of the singles semifinals. Before the first serve of the finals, they had already clinched the title, as the matchup showcased Aney and Daavettila.

Within the finals matchup, momentum began to swing at the end of the second set. After falling to Aney in the first, Daavettila won a second-set tiebreaker and then stormed out to a 4-0 lead in the third set, ultimately claiming the match.

On an individual level, the win guaranteed Daavettila a trip to New York for the ITA National Individual Indoor Championship in her first collegiate season.

For the team, it was a chance to prove more. As the No. 3 team in the nation according to the ITA standings, UNC has high expectations for the upcoming season, especially from their underclassmen. Kalbas was given the opportunity to focus on his young talent, as star senior Hayley Carter took the weekend off, having already clinched her spot at the National Indoor Championship. The underclassmen duo that North Carolina had in the singles final bodes well for the future, showing depth on both ends of the seniority chart.

Where do they play next?

Next up for UNC is the ITA National Individual Indoor Championship. The tournament will run from November 3-6 in Flushing Meadows, New York.

@James_Tatter