N.C. State Fair: quite the ride

The NC State Fair is in Raleigh from October 13-23.

We cover people, places and things that are important to UNC students, and the North Carolina State Fair is a key field trip to make at least once in your UNC career. From food to fun to dates to things you didn't know about the N.C. State Fair, check out the fair from all angles. 

The North Carolina State Fair — the only place where it’s acceptable to spend a week’s paycheck on copious amounts of fried food and ride tickets. 

Saturday was my first time at the fair, so I decided to go on as many rides as my tickets allowed. Here’s what I found out.

Orbiter 

The Orbiter is perfect for date night. Wanna get close? Slide into each other as you’re hurling through the air — you’ll bond pretty quickly. Go on and take a spin on the Orbiter. It’s fun — not too crazy, but definitely worth it.

Cobra Coaster 

If you’ve never visited Carowinds, Six Flags or other amusement parks, don’t waste your time. They're overhyped. You can find the same experience on the Cobra Coaster. But, it's not a good one; you’ll end up with a headache and wish you hadn’t wasted seven tickets on this ride. 

Khaos 

My personal favorite.

As I waited in line, watching it swing back and forth 10 times before hanging upside down, my heart was pounding. I started wondering what the cost of journalism really was.

You sit down, the bar crosses your chest, the floor beneath you sinks and you start to swing. It’s khaotic.

Grab your friends, go ride Khaos, maybe even ride it twice — it’s that good.

Pirate Ship 

We’ve all seen this ride and know the basics. If you’re on a date, skip the ship. But if you’re with your little brother, it’s perfect. 

Zipper 

Wanna get to know someone? There’s no better way than being trapped in a cage and seeing your life flash before your eyes as you spin through the air. You’ll be terrified, but want to ride it again. It’s worth the hype.

Haunted Mansion  

This seems like the perfect ride if you’re looking for an excuse to cuddle on your date. But let me tell you — it’s not. The only scary part of this ride is how uncomfortable you are in those seats as your knees hit the chair in front of you (and I’m 5’1”). Ouch.

Alien Abduction 

If you’ve eaten your fifth fried Oreo and already put down a funnel cake or two, this ride isn’t for you. Otherwise, if you want to defy gravity on Alien Abduction, you can. It’s perfect for large groups and a break from the heights.

WARNING: HANG ONTO YOUR PHONES. Trust me.

Cliff Hanger 

Third wheeling? Out with friends? Tired of switching off who sits alone? Cliff Hanger is for you. Sitting in groups of three, you’ll feel like Superman as you glide through the air. It’s low-key and a nice reprieve from the intense rides; your stomach will thank you later.

The Ferris Wheel 

The perfect ending to your date at the fair. It’s classic, it’s a cliche, but it’s a must. If you’re lucky enough to be at the top as the fireworks go off in the distance, you’ll have the picturesque moment with your date. Take in the crisp fall air and the lights from the fair, and enjoy the cliche.

Kick off fall break the right way: grab your friends or your significant other and splurge at the State Fair. You won’t regret it.

@jordankatlyn97

swerve@dailytarheel.com