The North Carolina men's soccer team defeated UNC-Asheville, 7-0, on Tuesday night at Fetzer Field.

What Happened? 

From the opening whistle, North Carolina dominated the flow of the game. The Tar Heels (9-2-1, 3-1-1 ACC) scored in the first minute of the game on a goal from junior forward Zach Wright. 

Things kept getting worse for UNC-Asheville (4-10, 3-1 Big South) as the Tar Heels added three more first half goals.

Junior forward Alan Winn scored in the 15th minute, and in the 23rd first-year defender Mauricio Pineda put one home. 

In the 32nd minute, senior defender Walker Hume headed a great ball to Pineda, who slammed it into the back of the net for a 4-0 lead. In the 44th minute Winn had another good opportunity near the top of the box, but his shot went wide of the near post. 

In the 50th minute, the Bulldogs had a good opportunity on a header off a set piece, but redshirt sophomore keeper James Pyle made a strong save to preserve a clean sheet. 

In the 73rd minute, junior midfielder David October sent a great ground cross into the box and first-year midfielder Jeremy Kelly slotted it home to make it 5-0. In the 82nd minute, Pineda scored his third goal of the evening and fourth of the season.

In the 84th minute, sophomore forward Nils Bruening scored his sixth goal of the season on a header to make it 7-0. That lead held the rest of the game as the Tar Heels finished off a dominating performance with their largest win of the season.

Who Stood Out? 

The Tar Heels were again led by the Hume twins, as both Tucker and Walker tallied two assists.

North Carolina also saw its first-years play well. Pineda scored his second, third and fourth goals of the season while Kelly added one of his own to help the Tar Heels dismantle UNC-Asheville 

When Was it Decided? 

Although UNC-Asheville put up a tough fight, the game was decided early on by a first minute goal from Wright. In the 15th minute Alan Winn scored, which sealed the deal for the Tar Heels, as their skill proved too much for the Bulldogs. The Tar Heels added two more first half goals and the game was over by halftime.

Why Does it Matter?

While it does not have any ramifications for the ACC title race, the win puts the No. 8 Tar Heels at 9-2-1 on the season and strengthens their case as a top team in the nation. 

The seven goals were the most scored by the Tar Heels all season. The win also stops a one-game losing skid for North Carolina, which suffered its second loss of the season at the hands of No. 21 Virginia on Friday.

Where Do They Play Next? 

North Carolina travels to Durham on Friday, where they will play Duke at 7 p.m.

@christrenkle2