We asked UNC students what basketball season means to them

Dylan Buchanan and Nick Attala at Late Night With Roy

The gates to the Smith Center opened at 6 p.m. but Kensleigh Ables, a sophomore pre-business major from Wilmington, N.C. had been in line with her friends since 4 p.m. They were in line for the much-anticipated "Late Night with Roy" event, which kicks off the UNC basketball season.  

For some students, it was their first time at the event. 

But for others, Late Night represents the start of one of their favorite UNC traditions. 

Sarah Evelyn Hicks, a senior political science and economics double major, was at Late Night with her friend Marie Payne, a senior exercise and sports science major. Both of them had been to Late Night their past three years at Carolina.  

"We’ve come all three years," Hicks said. "I’m looking forward to seeing how the new team plays together.”

Payne said that, although they had been before, this event was special. 

“It is special, because we’re graduating,” Payne said. “We can always come back to here after we graduate, but this is the last time we get to come here as students.”

Izzie Hirschy is a sophomore political science major from Cary. Hirschy said she was not able to come last year, but had heard a lot of good things.

“I’m optimistic," Hirschy said. "I have a lot of faith in the Tar Heels and Roy so I think we’ll do well.”

Lacie Blankenship 

First-year 

Undecided major from Candler, North Carolina  

“My brother goes to N.C. State so my family supports the Wolfpack. But I’m excited to be here and to get into Tar Heel basketball.” 

Ethan Rodgers 

First-year 

Mathematics major from New Jersey  

“I’ve been looking forward to it, big event, you hear a lot about it so it’s cool to finally be here.” 

Dylan Buchanan

First-year 

Psychology major from Asheville 

“I was a big Tar Heel fan before I came here but this is my first time coming to Late Night. I’ve seen all the videos and tweets from previous years so I’m ready to finally be here.”

Nick Attala 

First-year 

Business administration major from California  

“If I win the lottery, I’m going to every game, or as many as I can.”

Jennifer Craft 

Junior 

Environmental studies and public policy double major 

"For tonight, I’m looking most forward to the players dancing and for the season, I’m really excited to see how the team does.”

Sara Gray

Junior 

Global studies major 

“It’s funny, and I feel like we know the players better now that we’ve been here for three years.”

swerve@dailytarheel.com