UNC women's tennis sweeps first dual meet of season

Opening the dual-match season, the No. 2 North Carolina women’s tennis team crushed Ball State and UNC-Greensboro, both by scores of 7-0, at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Saturday.

UNC won its double matches quickly against Ball State, with senior Hayley Carter and first-year Alexa Graham winning 6-1 and first-year Sara Daavettila and redshirt senior Rachael James-Baker winning 6-2.

The Tar Heels performed strongly during singles, as well. Carter, Daavettila, James-Baker, junior Cassandra Vazquez and first-year Makenna Jones won in straight sets. 

During the match against UNC-G, the Tar Heels switched up the doubles partners, replacing James-Baker with junior Maggie Kane in the lineup. Carter and Kane won their doubles match with a clean score of 6-0. On Court No. 2, Daavettila and Jones won, 6-1, to secure the doubles point.

Kane took James-Baker’s position in singles, as well. Carter played with strength, a sheepish smile occasionally appearing on her face after a powerful point. She won in straight sets.

After a disappointing showing in doubles play, Graham beat her singles opponent in straight sets.

During the Ball State match, Carter — the No. 5 singles player in the nation — didn't drop a game in singles play. And against the Spartans later in the day, she dropped just one game to her opponent.

Graham shone during her singles match against UNC-G. Against Ball State, she won her first set, lost the second and won the third. Against the Spartans, she won in straight sets, never losing a point along the way.

Coming off of a winning all three doubles matches against Ball State, all of the singles players for North Carolina won their first set. Carter’s strong finish during singles play set a tone for the rest of the match against the Cardinals.

Against UNC-G, Graham’s singles match solidified the North Carolina win. Despite her rocky doubles match, she won her singles match in straight sets.

These matches kick off UNC’s dual-match season, which will prepare them for the ITA Kick-off Weekend as well as the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in a few weeks.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels host the ITA Kick-off Weekend on Saturday. UNC will play Oregon at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday and will play the winner of Texas and Columbia on Sunday at 1 p.m.

@mwc13_3