African dance competition will be held at UNC

Oasis Battle of the Schools African Dance Competition rehearsal on Wednesday night.

Angela Tettey, choreographer of UNC African dance group Zankiliwa, explained how African Fashion Week registered for Battle of the Schools with the state, and later partnered with UNC BAR “in order to create a vision of a larger dance competition that focuses on one of the main aspects of African culture,” which is dance.

The winner of the Battle of the Schools will take home a $1,000 prize. Half of this prize will go to a charity of the winning’s team choice, while the other half will be used at their disposal.

"UNC BAR is known as the best African dance group in North Carolina," Tettey said.

Bennetta Clarke, a sophomore at UNC and member of Zankiliwa, explained how UNC BAR has been the home for African dance in North Carolina for years. 

“We are a hardworking team overall. All the dancers bring their own styles. The choreographers also bring their own styles. Not everybody is African — some people are African-American,” Clarke said. “When it’s all mixed together, it creates a dynamic team. That’s why I think we are going to win.”

Zankiliwa said her team is going “to get down,” according to Organization for African Students’ Interests and Solidarity Co-President Gloria Mensah.

Mensah described how she loves the community that comes along with Zankiliwa.

“It’s not just dance alone. We've built a bond that goes beyond dancing,” Mensah said. “We talk about our academics, and, like, our favorite foods.”

Being a part of Zankiliwa and this competition has allowed Clarke to connect with her roots at UNC in a different way.

“There is no other place on campus where I can dance and listen to African music,” she said. “This competition gives me an outlet because there is no other place on campus where I can do this.”

This competition awakens people to the evolution of African dance in a more modern way.

“When people think about African dance, they think about really traditional modern skirts, people jumping around and what they've seen on TV,” Mensah said.

“This competition will provide good exposure to the general public on how Africa is modernized, as well as some of the many changes it's endured. I don’t think most people are familiar with the ways Africa has become modernized. This will be a good way for people to see the different cultures.”

As the dance competition approaches, Tettey encourages UNC students to come and show support.

“You don’t want to miss this,” she said. “The culture is going to be there, the music is going to be there, and the vibes. We are used to holding the title of the best African dance group in North Carolina, and we need UNC’s support to make sure we keep that title.”

The Battle of the Schools, an African Dance Competition, will be held at the Sonja Haynes Stone Center at 7 p.m., doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets will be $10 at the door.

swerve@dailytarheel.com