All Up In Your Business: Lolo app comes to Chapel Hill

Locals Supporting Locals (LoLo) is a new app that turns any debit or credit card into a local rewards card. Photo Courtesy of LoLo.

LoLo, a rewards program app, expanded to include participating local businesses in Chapel Hill and Carrboro in November.

The app turns any account-connected debit or credit card into a rewards card by tracking payments made to participating local businesses. When a customer goes to the business, the money they spend there goes directly into a rewards program. 

LoLo is about three years old and began in Asheville, N.C. It has now expanded to eight locations, including Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Hendersonville.

“LoLo started as a way to help local businesses compete against the chain," said Jessica Resler, marketing coordinator for the app. 

Through rewarding users for buying locally, LoLo promotes smaller local businesses, while also supporting those that choose to buy from them.

“Anyone can implement the system and use it,” Resler said. 

There are now more than 100 independent businesses from across the country on the app, Resler said. In order to be on the app, the business has to be independent and can not have more than five locations.

Resler also said there are plans to expand the app to Charlotte.