Orange County Sheriff deputies fatally shot armed man in Efland Saturday

Two Orange County Sheriff's Office deputies fatally shot an armed man in Efland on Saturday.

The deceased, Keo Crockett, allegedly fired a handgun during a home invasion and was shot by deputies Duke Ashley and Tyler Chelenza in front of his home in Efland, according to a Monday press release from the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Ashley and Chelenza are currently on administrative leave during the investigation, as is standard procedure after an officer-involved shooting.

“The (State Bureau of Investigation) will investigate the case which could take several weeks,” said Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall, who is working on the case. 

The Mebane Police Department requested the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for assistance in finding Crockett at 10:59 p.m. Saturday, after he allegedly broke into a Mebane home and assaulted two people 36 minutes earlier.

Mebane police told the deputies that Crockett was "armed and dangerous" and had fired a handgun during the home invasion.

Ashley and Chelenza went to Crockett’s home address and matched the vehicle in the driveway with Crockett's registration.

After the deputies knocked on the door, Crockett exited while pointing the handgun directly at Ashley, said Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood in a news release Monday.

Both deputies fired shots at Crockett, killing him.

“It’s a tragic event any time someone loses their life, it really doesn’t matter what the circumstances are,” Woodall said.

Woodall said he believes the people Crockett reportedly assaulted are OK, but he will not know until further investigation is complete.

Ashley has been serving Orange County since January 2012 and Chelenza since December 2011.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said in the release that their thoughts and prayers are with Crockett's family and friends.

“I would also ask that you keep our deputies in your thoughts,” the sheriff's office said in the release. “This is something we all train for and while we know it may happen, we hope it never does.”