UNC JV basketball loses second straight game for first time this season

Guard Kane Ma (1) drives to the basket during the game on Wednesday evening against Massanutten.  

After losing in overtime on Saturday, the North Carolina junior varsity basketball (9-3) lost back-to-back games for the first team this season as Massanutten Military Academy (25-5) downed UNC, 83-75, on Wednesday at the Smith Center.

UNC relied on a balanced, fundamental approach against a Massanutten team that boasted plenty of athleticism. The balance was crucial for a North Carolina team still without two of its best players, sophomore Caleb Ellis and junior Lucas Bouknight, who are both sidelined with injuries.

“Everybody on the team has a big role," junior guard Kane Ma said. "And with them being out, we’re missing a shooter and a slasher. So everyone has to step up, and I think we’ve doing a good job of that."

But the Tar Heels had no answer for Massanutten center Jamarko Pickett. He stood over everybody on the court, and his long arms made the paint difficult to navigate. Pickett also showcased a solid jumper, knocking down two threes in the first half.

While Pickett was a force on the floor, he also created mismatches for the Massanutten defense.

“When we went small, he had to guard a shooter," head coach Hubert Davis said. "If he stayed in, we had a shooter wide open. If he came out, we were able to get a little bit of space and then we were able to drive it and get to the bucket."

North Carolina used several runs to keep the game close in the first half, but a buzzer-beating 3-pointer saw the Tar Heels down 41-35 at the half.

As the second period got underway, it looked like UNC was getting a grasp on the game. A smooth move and pull-up three by sophomore guard Andrew Gillespie tied the game at 43.

But then Massanutten put its foot down.

The visiting team took over the game with a 15-2 run, pushing its lead to 58-45. This run prompted Davis to call a timeout midway through the second half.

“I got after them a little bit," Davis said. "Because I don’t care about the score, but I do care about the effort."

His team heard the message loud and clear, and the Tar Heels fought back to a one-point deficit. Gillespie, Ma and first-year Robbie O’Han lead the charge.

“We’re definitely a family here, and we really come together when things start clicking,” Ma said.

But the Tar Heel takeover came to a halt after a series of bad plays.

A couple of forced shots and more turnovers squandered the momentum. UNC stopped hitting its shots, and Massanutten’s Alex Domani hit three clutch 3-pointers in the second half to push the lead even further.

“I think there were a lot of little things that we could have done ..." O'Han said. "We could’ve gotten out on shooters better, or win more 50-50 balls. That would’ve been the difference."

@YonaDagalosi