UNC men's golf struggles in third round, finishes fifth at Sea Best Invitational

The UNC men’s golf team started well but struggled in the final round, finishing fifth out of 15 teams at the Sea Best Invitational on Monday and Tuesday in Ponte Vedra, Fla.

A 2-under 68 from junior William Register led the way on day one for the Tar Heels, while senior Zach Martin followed closely behind, ending the round with an eventful 1-under 69 that included 5 birdies and a triple bogey. Solid rounds from first-year Austin Hitt and junior Ben Griffin closed out the day, leaving UNC in third place at the end of round one.

Day two was highlighted by stellar performances from Hitt and junior Jose Montaño, who both carded 3-under 67s. Griffin also had a solid round, turning in a 1-under 69, as the Tar Heels climbed to second place and within one stroke of leader Florida.

Entering the third round, and in the mix for a team victory, expectations were high for UNC. But the day ended in disappointment. The round didn’t get off to a good start, as the team went a collective 8-over par on the first hole, a par 5, with a bogey, two double bogeys and a triple bogey. It didn’t get much better from there, as the team ended up shooting a collective 22-over par on the day. UNC finished in fifth place to end the tournament, 19 strokes behind the eventual winner, Florida.

The low rounds of the week for UNC went to Hitt and Montaño, who both put up 67s in round two. It was the lowest round of Hitt’s college career to date, breaking his previous low of 69 by two strokes.

Montaño and Register finished the week in a tie for the lowest overall score by a Tar Heel at 3-over par, with both finishing tied for 12th in the overall individual standings.

North Carolina was in contention for the team title through two rounds, and it looked as though the team was poised for at least a top-three result. In the end, though, the Tar Heels' performance in the final round let them down, and they ended up being overtaken by three other teams by the end of Tuesday.

Through four tournaments, the Tar Heels had a slew of top-five finishes — including a second-place mark at the Tar Heel Invitational — and were looking to turn that success into a win this week. They couldn’t get the job done, however, ending with their lowest finish of the season.

This was also UNC’s first competitive tournament in over four months. With a crowded schedule coming up this spring, including three tournaments in a month, North Carolina could have gained some momentum for the second half of the season.

North Carolina has less than two weeks off before the team packs its bags for the Puerto Rico Classic at Rio Mar from Feb. 19-21.