Grounds crew shifts plan for warmer weather

University arborists are keeping up with the early blooms.

“It’s not so much that it’s warmer,” said Thomas Bythell, University arborist. “It’s that it might get colder.”

Bythell’s responsibilities include overseeing the 4,000 to 5,000 acres of land UNC owns all over Orange County.

Bythell and his department are thinking about the possibility that cold weather could return and make things difficult for the grounds crews, who have already started some spring operations.

Bythell said his division is always at the mercy of the weather — and this year is no different.

“It just flows,” he said. “We bend like a reed in the wind with the weather because we don’t really have a choice.”

His department is adapting to the recent warm weather by moving up their schedule. Fertilizing and other plant treatments are already underway, and lawn mowing has started earlier than usual.

“If winter goes out like a lamb, then it shouldn’t be a problem,” Bythell said. “But, if it goes out like a lion, with two weeks of below freezing temperatures, everything’s going to go backward. But for general plant health, it’s not that big of a deal.”

Bythell was confident the unusual warmth would not dramatically interfere with his department’s plans.

“To be honest, most of our guys are loving it. It’s great working weather,” he said.

One thing he was concerned about was the influx of pests that accompany warm periods. He said insects were expected to start emerging soon, which will trigger a strong response from Grounds Services.

“We have a philosophy here at UNC. It’s called IPM: integrated pest management,” he said. “We don’t just broad spectrum spray stuff on campus. We don’t say, ‘well it’s late March so let’s start spraying the azaleas.’ We only spray when pests are present above a tolerable level.”

IPM is a more environmentally friendly alternative to heavy pesticide use and is one example of the steps taken by Grounds Services to ensure a seamless transition from winter into spring.

UNC grounds workers are working hard to ensure the campus maintains healthy grounds despite the volatile weather. They’ve had to be on their game because of the early blooming.

“With the warmer weather, everything’s coming back so there’s more work to do,” said Chris Burnette, an employee of UNC Grounds Services.

Students are affected by the warmer conditions too. Sophomore Chad Smith said he thinks people have been happier since the weather changed, and he hopes that it doesn’t turn around and get cold again.

“I started wearing shorts earlier in the year than I have in the past,” he said. “Not as many winter clothes and jackets just because it’s so nice out.”