Friday December 3rd

Letter: A college degree can provide opportunities

In response to the article “We generally love college, but not at this moment” published on Feb. 23, I think it is important to contextualize the author’s argument. Yes, a college diploma seems to be worth less and less as more young adults attend graduate programs in order to get good jobs. And, yes, college is extremely stressful on a variety of levels.

However, millions of people around the world are not offered even a fraction of the opportunities that are open to every single student at UNC. We have the opportunity to get an amazing education at a campus known as the “happiest place on earth.”

Beyond that, success IS attainable in the modern world without a graduate degree, or in some cases without a college degree. Trade schools and community college, while not preferable, should not be entirely dismissed.

I don’t mean to dismiss the significant challenges that college students face, which include stress, rejection, student loans and the feeling that to be a contributing member of society requires endless and expensive schooling. But the scope of opportunity afforded by a college education cannot be dismissed either.

Ann Burns Morrison

First-year

Undecided

Welcome Back Edition 2021