Word on the Street: What would you change about the gen-ed curriculum?

Olivia Glass

Olivia Glass

The College of Arts and Sciences started a working group to review and update the general education curriculum. Staff Writer Myah Ward asked students, "What would you change about the general education curriculum if you had the chance?"

Olivia Glass

First-year computer science and linguistics major

“I think it is too many history courses — the BN, the NA, the HS — it’s a lot history. I think it should be broader. I am aware that history is important, but there are other practical things.”

Nick Aguilar

Sophomore linguistics and German major

“I guess because I am in linguistics and taking another language, I think it would be beneficial for more majors to require a language. It’s so helpful to be able to communicate with other people and makes you more global.”

Kacie England

Sophomore history major

“Maybe if they made a better effort of making some of the humanities courses more career-oriented."

Alejandra Ospina

Senior biology major

“I wish that there wasn’t such a great divide between the science classes and the liberal arts classes.”

Nellie Wise

Sophomore dramatic art major

“If I had to change anything, I would change how many. I do value the idea of having a general education requirement, but I do think that there’s a lot of requirements.”

Michael Howell 

Senior linguistics major

“I would change how it approaches language. I feel like it’s not sufficient for people to be able to engage with a language fully. The professors are passionate about teaching the classes, but there is that disconnect.”