Here's what to expect from UNC's NFL rookies

Elijah Hood

Former UNC running back Elijah Hood fends off a Virginia defender in 2016

The NFL regular season is almost here, and it's coming fast.

As preseason play continues, though, many rookies are trying to prove their worth to coaches and executives. Some of those rookies include former North Carolina football players, some of whom have better odds of making a team than others.

Mitchell Trubisky

Former North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky throws a pass during UNC Pro Day.

Since being selected No. 2 overall in the 2017 NFL Draft, tons of hype has been surrounding the former quarterback. So far, he's lived up to the billing.

Entering this upcoming weekend, he has completed 24 of 33 passes for 226 yards and two touchdowns in limited reps. Although Bears head coach John Fox is temporarily set on Mike Glennon as the starting quarterback, his opinion could quickly change. Trubisky is the franchise’s foreseeable future, and you can never question inevitability. The Bears drastically need a quarterback, and Trubisky seems to have the tools to fulfill that need.

Nazair Jones

Former defensive tackle Nazair Jones talks to the defensive line before a game against The Citadel in 2016.

The Seattle Seahawks are very enthusiastic about this young defensive tackle, and his early stats showcase why.

In his opening game against the Los Angeles Chargers, he had four tackles and one pass deflection that led to an interception. He added a half sack against the Minnesota Vikings. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll has especially been complimentary about Jones’ play.

Mack Hollins

Former North Carolina wide receiver Mack Hollins (13) celebrates a touchdown against Pittsburgh last fall.

After the Philadelphia Eagles sent starting wide receiver Jordan Matthews to the Buffalo Bills earlier this month, Hollins was pretty much guaranteed an increased role within the offense.

In his preseason debut against the Green Bay Packers, Hollins caught four passes for 64 yards, which included a touchdown grab from starting quarterback Carson Wentz. Although his second game versus the Bills was not nearly as memorable (one catch for six yards), his odds for making the roster are still pretty high.

Ryan Switzer

Former UNC receiver Ryan Switzer (3) runs up field with the ball in a game against the Pittsburgh Panthers in 2016.

After missing the past three weeks due to a hamstring injury, it appears Switzer is about to make his preseason rookie debut this weekend against the Oakland Raiders.

Even though his injury kept him out action for awhile, his teammates are still excited. It certainly does not hurt to have Pro Bowl wide receiver Dez Bryant say that you will return “four or five” kicks for touchdowns this season. Switzer's chances of making the team are almost imminent.

T.J. Logan

Former UNC running back T.J. Logan celebrates a touchdown against The Citadel in 2016.

Similar to Switzer, Logan has been out with an injury for some time. But his dislocated wrist will keep him out for even longer. He's slated to return in Week 8 of the regular season. Due to this unfortunate setback, his future with the Arizona Cardinals is unclear.

Elijah Hood

Despite not playing at all in their opening preseason game, Hood finally stepped onto the field as an Oakland Raider for the first time against the Rams this past Saturday. He had five carries for 12 yards, including a nine-yard run on a third down. As of now, his status for making the roster is up in the air.

Lucas Crowley

Former UNC center Lucas Crowley prepares to snap the ball during a 2016 game

This ex-Tar Heel center has had an unexpected journey over the past few months. After being originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Arizona back in May, Crowley was waived and then picked up by the Pittsburgh Steelers. The unpredictability continued this past Wednesday night, when Crowley was traded to the Washington Redskins. While Crowley’s addition gives the Redskins needed depth on the offensive line after starting center Spencer Long had knee surgery this week, the chaos of Crowley’s first few months in the NFL are not an encouraging signal for what is to come.

Des Lawrence

Former UNC cornerback Des Lawrence celebrates with fans after UNC's 2016 comeback win over Pittsburgh

The chances for Lawrence to make a roster seem to be impossible at this point. Following his release from the Detroit Lions due to an undisclosed injury, he went unclaimed on waivers. The Lions will retain his rights for next season and move him to their injury reserved list.

Bug Howard

Wide receiver Bug Howard hauls in a touchdown against N.C. State in 2016.

The stock for Howard has been trending upward in recent weeks, as he is collecting rave reviews from multiple outlets. This includes IndyStar sports writer Zak Keefer.

Howard is still on the conquest to make the final roster.

@keberly1996