North Carolina women's soccer upset in double overtime by Central Florida

The No. 4 North Carolina women’s soccer team dominated the stat sheet but was unable to make it count in its second straight overtime match. The team fell, 2-1, to underdog Central Florida on a wet and muggy Friday night in Orlando.

Things couldn’t have gotten off to a better start for the Tar Heels (1-1), as junior midfielder Dorian Bailey scored on a fine strike from long distance in the third minute to get them out to a quick 1-0 lead.

The fast start, however, was short lived. UCF quickly grew back into the match, and began to control the play as the first half wore on. Before long, the Knights got their equalizer, with Dina Orschmann tapping in a rebound in the 13th minute to level the score at 1-1.

UCF had more chances throughout the first half, but North Carolina’s defense, anchored at the back by the England-born first-year Lotte Wubben-Moy, held firm to keep the score level heading into halftime.

“UCF completely disemboweled us (in the first half),” head coach Anson Dorrance said. “We scored early, but we lost a sense of ourselves and they took over for much of the first half.”

UNC finally began to find its rhythm after the break, regaining control of possession and testing the UCF goalkeeper on several occasions. Despite their statistical dominance, however, the Tar Heels couldn’t break through, and the score remained tied going into overtime.

The first overtime period contained more of the same, with North Carolina failing to take several chances that fell to it, leaving the score locked at 1-1 heading into the second overtime period.

Then, in the 105th minute, UCF found a winner with Christine Creighton slotting past UNC goalkeeper Samantha Leshnak to snatch the golden-goal upset win for the Knights.

It took a full 105 minutes for a winner to emerge from this tight contest, with UCF stealing a victory despite lagging behind North Carolina on the stat sheet. The Tar Heels controlled play for most of the second half, but in the end they failed to take their chances and it came back to bite them.

Dorrance praised the two English players he fielded in his lineup: forward Alessia Russo, from Kent, and defender Wubben-Moy, from London.

“Russo was our most dangerous forward, and (Wubben-Moy) was also very good at central defender,” he said, “so I’m very happy with the addition of our two English players.” 

After a promising opening-day victory against Duke, the Tar Heels’ momentum has been disrupted with this upset loss. But Dorrance has his sights set firmly on bouncing back for the rest of the season.

“We had some setbacks last year but we righted the ship and continued to improve and grind," he said, "and I can see the same spirit in this group.”

UNC will remain in Florida to take on South Florida in Tampa on Sunday at 1 p.m.