Chamber of Commerce welcomes new vice president of membership

rebecca from ad .png

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce welcomed a new vice president of membership in late November to head their division of over 1,200 business members. 

Rebecca Dickenson joined the Chamber after years of working within the Chapel Hill-Carrboro business community. As vice president of membership, Dickenson serves as the contact point for all member businesses and directs the staff and activities of the Chamber’s membership division. 

She previously served as the advertising director at The Daily Tar Heel, overseeing the newspaper’s advertising staff. Through this position, Dickenson gained contacts with local businesses, which she says is an asset in her new job.

“(Dickenson’s) role is to really help local businesses make the most of their membership with the chamber,” said Katie Loovis, vice president for external affairs for the Chamber. “We want to make being a member of the Chamber easy. We want to make it easy and valuable, and that’s her role.” 

Loovis said Dickenson’s wealth of experience made her a good fit for the position.

“I think it’s a great fit for Rebecca, I think it’s a natural transition,” said Erica Perel, the DTH general manager and Dickenson’s coworker of three years. “She cares a lot about serving clients and she’s a very mission-driven person. I think this is just going to be a different way for her to be involved in the Chapel Hill community.”

The Chamber works to aid the Chapel Hill-Carrboro business community’s needs and interests. Its members span the Triangle and include businesses such as BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Magazine and The DTH. 

Loovis said that a thriving chamber of commerce is important in a community like Chapel Hill. 

“Chapel Hill is a really special place because we have so many businesses that are showing that you can do well and do good; that you can be a profitable business and really contribute to the social and environmental fabric of our community,” Loovis said.

The Chamber will hold its 75th annual meeting in early February to discuss the organization’s plans for 2018. As for Dickenson, her goals for the future focus on meeting the needs of each business member within the Chamber.

“While we love having really great annual meetings, golf tournaments and bocce tournaments and whatnot, and we love that networking and that camaraderie that we can build in the community, what we really want to know is that we’ve made a difference beyond that,” Dickenson said.

@maringwolf