Central North Carolina, including Orange County, received six to 10 inches of snow Wednesday morning, according to a statement by the National Weather Service. The University has cancelled classes through noon on Friday.
Check back to this article for updates on how the snow will impact schools, buses and roads:
Snow Survival Guide
Never say the people at the DTH never tried to do anything for you. Here are some general snow tips.
- First, don't drive today if you don't have to, but if you must, read this first.
- If you still need to leave your dorm and don't have a car, here are some walking on ice tips.
- And, of course, here is a recipe for snow cream.
- Snowperson building tips.
What is open? What is closed?
Chapel Hill Transit
Chapel Hill Transit will operate as conditions allow:
- The department will update its inclement weather page with bus route closures.
- Students should take extra care when boarding the buses and while waiting at bus stops.
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (closed through Friday)
- Durham Public Schools (closed through Friday)
- Orange County Schools (closed through Friday)
- UNC-Chapel Hill (condition two until 12 p.m. Friday)
- The Chapel Hill Town Council business meeting is canceled. Agenda items will be discussed at a later date.
- Orange County Administrative Offices will operate on a three-hour delay on Friday.
- Carrboro anticipates all roads will be cleared by 5 p.m. on Friday:
- Carrboro trash collection is canceled for the week.
- The Chapel Hill Library returned to regular hours on Friday.
- UNC dining halls are operating on reduced hours.
- All campus libraries are closed until at least noon on Friday.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.