North Carolina swimming and diving swept at Duke

UNC NCSU senior meet

The North Carolina swim and dive team celebrated it senior night on Jan. 26 against N.C. State in Koury Natatorium.

The North Carolina swimming and diving teams headed to Durham on Saturday for their last dual meet in the regular season. Both teams kept it close, but ultimately fell to Duke on their senior night. The No. 21 women lost to Duke, 151-149, and the men fell 157.5-142.5.

The Tar Heel women (4-5, 1-3 ACC) won first place in eight of their 16 events: 1-meter diving, 3-meter diving, 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard breaststroke, and 400-yard freestyle relay.

The women struggled with the 200-yard backstroke as well as the 100-yard butterfly, where Duke took first and second places in both races.

The 400-yard freestyle relay was the deciding event in the nail-biting loss. Although UNC won first place in the relay, Duke won second place to secure the six points needed to edge out the Tar Heels at the very end.

The UNC men (3-6, 1-3 ACC) also won first place in eight of the 16 events: 100-yard backstroke, 200-yard backstroke, 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard breaststroke, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard butterfly, 200-yard IM, and 500-yard freestyle.

The Tar Heel men struggled with the 3-meter diving, earning the last three places behind four competitors for Duke. They also struggled with both the 200- and 1000-yard freestyles, where Duke snagged both first and second places in both races.

Junior Maria Lohman won first place in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events, contributing 18 points for her team. First-year Caroline Hauder, who was named the ACC Women's Swimmer of the week just two weeks ago, won the 200-yard breaststroke and placed second in the 100-yard backstroke by less than a second. Senior and reliable star Caroline Baldwin also won first place in the 50- and 100-yard freestyles.

Senior Henry Campbell placed first in both the 200-yard IM and the 500-yard freestyle events. First-year Valdas Abaliksta also shined, winning first in both the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events. First-year Alvin Jiang proved himself by winning both the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly.

The women gave a satisfactory performance, only losing by 2 points; but it was still an upset for the No. 20 team, which fell to 4-5 on the season. The men are hoping to improve from this meet’s performance, falling to 3-6 overall.

This was the third meet in a row that both the men and women lost. North Carolina is now ranked ninth out of 11 teams in the ACC. However, the first-year talent looks promising as both teams start to look towards next season, and the coaches are proud of the strong effort put forward by the team.

Before the meet, Duke had only won against the North Carolina women once in history, and only four times before against the men. In the last 69 years, the men only beat the Tar Heels once: which was just last season. The rivalry may now be shifting in favor of the Blue Devils.

North Carolina will compete again this upcoming weekend at the Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational in Chapel Hill and Durham.

@kellie_nattress