Get cultured with photography, theater and dance at UNC

The PlayMakers Repertory Company is a professional theatre company in residence at UNC Chapel Hill.

With midterms ending and finals season fast approaching, many UNC professors are asking students to attend cultural events for their classes. Whether you need event ideas to get class credit, or are looking for a way to spend a cultured evening, here is a list of some opportunities to take advantage of on campus.  

“The joy is in the going” 

March 27 to Nov. 4. 

9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Wilson Library 

This photography showcase will feature the work of Bayard Wootten, a single mother who photographed the American South from 1904 until her death in 1959. Wootten was ahead of her time, as the first woman in the National Guard and possibly the first woman in America to take a photograph from an airplane. 

Wilson Library will display 21 prints of Wootten’s photographs from her work of North Carolina and various other locations of the South. 

“The Yellow Ticket” 

March 27 

7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Hyde Hall 

This German film from 1918 explores antisemitism in Poland at the end of World War I. Several UNC departments will host this screening as part of Polish Week at UNC, a week that celebrates Polish studies. A violinist and pianist will accompany the film, with its original score, and students can stay after to listen to a panel of professors from UNC and Duke. 

Nederlands Dans Theater

March 28 and March 29

7:30 p.m.

Memorial Hall

$15 for UNC students

Students can experience a taste of the Netherlands right here in Chapel Hill with a performance by the Nederlands Dans Theater. Though based in the Netherlands, this company features performers and choreographers from around the world. Their performance will include exploratory and unique choreography. 

“Leaving Eden” 

April 4 to April 22 

7:30 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m. 

Paul Green Theatre 

$10 for UNC students 

This play follows a small town in North Carolina through history. While the town’s economy changes throughout the years, one thing remains the same: racial hatred toward its Black and Latinx citizens. 

Playwright Mike Wiley and singer-songwriter Laurelyn Dossett wrote this musical to be premiered by the PlayMakers Repertory Company this April. 

“The Fever”

April 11-15

Times vary

CURRENT ArtSpace + Studio

$10 for UNC students

Test your limits with “The Fever,” a collaborative performance put on by 600 Highwaymen. Comprised of artists Abigail Browde and Michael Silverstone, the theater duo asks for the audience’s participation in examining our “natural instincts to connect with other humans.” 

Daymé Arocena

April 4 

7:30 p.m.

Memorial Hall

$10 for UNC students

Daymé Arocena is a triple threat: she’s a singer, composer and choir director. Hailing all the way from Havana, Cuba, she is bringing her talents to Carolina Performing Arts. She released her second album, “Cubafonía,” in 2017. Influenced by her roots, Arocena infuses an uplifting, new spirit into jazz music with her Santería chants and complex rhythms.

“Un-becoming Ailey: Constructing a Creative and Feminist Trans*masculinity”

March 30 and March 31

8 p.m. to 10 p.m. 

Swain Hall

Admission is free, but pay $5 for a reserved seat

As part of UNC’s Process Series, “Un-becoming Ailey: Constructing a Creative and Feminist Trans*masculinity” centers on the “black dancing body” in a performance in which transness emerges. The project was conceptualized by artist Daniel B. Coleman Chávez, who uses his body as the centerpiece. Additionally, the performance incorporates photography, video and poetry.

@artsDTH