UNC women's soccer outlasts Providence, 1-0, in Duke Nike Classic in Durham

Julia Ashley

Senior defender Julia Ashley throws her hands in the hair during UNC's 3-2 exhibition win over N.C. State on Aug. 9 in Raleigh.

The North Carolina women's soccer team defeated Providence, 1-0, on Thursday in the Duke Nike Classic in Durham, remaining undefeated for the season.

From the start of the game, it was clear the No. 3 Tar Heels (4-0-1) were determined to win. In the first half alone, UNC took nine shots. Approaching the 40th minute, the game was stagnant at zero goals apiece. It was then that senior defender Julia Ashley gave her team the lead with a powerful shot off a rebound that found the back of the net.

The extreme heat at Koskinen Stadium forced head coach Anson Dorrance to use six substitutes in the first half alone.

Even though the second half brought no scores for either team, North Carolina was able to attempt 10 shots against Providence (3-1-0), while the Friars only managed three shots. 

With 17:14 remaining in the second half, senior midfielder Dorian Bailey suffered a nosebleed, bringing on an injury timeout. After the injury occurred, there was no momentum for either side and the Tar Heels hung on for the 1-0 win. UNC managed 19 shots in the victory, including eight on target.

Sophomore forward Alessia Russo and Ashley stood out the most this game. Russo’s attempted shot was blocked by the Providence goalkeeper, who was unable to hold onto the ball. 

The goalie's mistake allowed Ashley to score off the rebound and bring the Tar Heels the victory. In addition to the goal, Ashley had two more shots on target. Russo had just returned from the FIFA U20 World Cup and she kept up her form from the tournament in France.

The game was decided in the first half by Ashley. She scored the only goal for either side in the win. The lone goal came with 5:17 left in the opening frame.

UNC’s defeat of Providence is the Tar Heels' fourth win of the season. The team has a positive outlook looking ahead after going undefeated in its first five matches.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels next face Marquette on Sept. 2 in Durham. After that match, North Carolina heads to California for a two-game road trip to face off against No. 9 Santa Clara and top-ranked Stanford on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

@markburnett1234