I cannot believe that I have the privilege of releasing the most important breaking news that has come to the DTH in a while: that white guy in your class who is really passionate about your class material and loves to vocalize his opinions, often speaking over everyone, including the professor, is thriving. This is the result of an infestation that has been called “catering to the white male.” 

Details are emerging in the story about this outbreak of white male ego. Such mindsets that have contributed to this outbreak include letting the white male talk because, while he is very obnoxious, you have to admit that he does provide great insight into class discussions. 

This ever-growing infestation also causes the white male to share an extensive amount of information about his life without asking much about anyone else, but when anyone who isn’t like him shares something about themselves it is deemed “oversharing.” People do in fact acknowledge that this is sexist in varying group chats; however, when it comes time to call the boy out, no one steps up to the plate. 

It is also apparent that there is an outbreak of this phenomenon all across the country, and there are whispers that it has even reached the White House. I am not sure how long this will last; however, I have heard that there are some remedies that do help with this infestation. A list of remedies below includes, but is not limited to: 

Recognize that there are, in fact, other people who exist in the classroom who are ready to participate if you give them a chance.

Promote an inclusive environment by maybe shutting down the white guy for once. He may not have said anything offensive or hurtful, he may have even positively contributed to the conversation, but you have to admit that constantly promoting the white guy’s ego is not really positively contributing to anyone but that white guy.

Focus on other people. Realize that self-promotion is only good if it doesn’t result in silencing others who can make a large impact. 

Realize that the current standard of what is “quality” in different fields of work and study is not set in stone. People are not always open to including others because they’re not willing to expand outside of their own perspectives and comfort zones, but to stop this infestation of white male ego, it is important to trash this mindset altogether. 

The world is full of diverse people, and always listening to the white male over others is toxic and, more importantly, ignorant. In order for this infestation to stop, we have to realize that white men are not being attacked, they’re just hurt because people are feeling more and more comfortable with standing up and letting their own perspectives be heard. Hopefully the white male ego can be exterminated soon, but for now, just remember to never have a closed mind. Unless it’s pertaining to a white male, then that’s excusable. White men have been on their high horses for too long.