Thursday January 20th

Orange County Commissioners repeal Jefferson Davis National Highway designation

The Orange County Board of Commissioners met Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017.
Buy Photos The Orange County Board of Commissioners met Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017.

The Orange County Board of Commissioners unanimously voted to repeal the resolution that designated U.S. Route 15 as the Jefferson Davis National Highway on Tuesday night's meeting. 

Jefferson Davis was the president of the Confederate States during the American Civil War. He fought for the institution of slavery and was a slave owner.

The resolution gave the name to a section of U.S. Highway 15 from the Durham County line to the Chatham County line, but research indicated that neither the United States Department of Transportation nor the NCDOT recognizes a Jefferson Davis National Highway.

This resolution comes after Orange County residents expressed concern about the 1959 Board action that named the highway. The Board said the goal of the resolution is to foster a community culture that rejects oppression and inequity and to enable full civic participation.

Currently, there is a plaque that recognizes the Jefferson Davis National Highway, but the NCDOT's research indicated that the plaque is privately owned. Orange County does not have the legal authority to remove the plaque, but will petition the DOT to remove it.

@David_Saff

Next up in Orange County Commissioners

Next up in Silent Sam Monument

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

Next up in North Carolina Politics

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021