Meet your 2018 candidates for Mr. and Miss UNC

UNC defeated Georgia Tech 48-20 on Saturday.

Mr. and Miss UNC are seniors elected for their scholarship, leadership and service. Once Mr. and Miss UNC are crowned, they execute their planned service project, which is part of their platform. Students can cast their votes Friday on heellife.unc.edu. On Saturday, the new “Royals” will be crowned at the Carolina vs. Georgia Tech football game at Kenan Stadium. DTH staff writer Nathan Wesley talked to the seven 2018 Mr. and Miss UNC candidates about their platforms and life at UNC. 

Erin Stacks 

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

What is your platform?

"My platform is suicide-prevention awareness with a focus on Native American population. I feel that a lot of students have been affected by suicide in their lives, and I think that’s something people struggle to talk about. I want to create conversation about how Native Americans populations have the highest rate of suicide, more than any other ethnic group in the United States." 

What is the coolest thing you’ve seen at UNC? 

"Rushing Franklin for the National Championship. That was definitely a highlight and something I don't think you would experience at a lot of other places."

Contributed by Erin Stacks.

Myra Parker 

Hometown: New Bern, North Carolina

What is your platform?

"Secure the Bag: UNC for Food (NC). It’s a four-fold project that connects student leaders and people in the community to see how we can bring awareness to food insecurities, food waste, gentrification and accessibility to food. I want there to be a day for a UNC- and community-wide food drive in the Pit. My team and I would like to fill the Pit with food to give out."

Do you remember the first time you tripped over a brick? If so, when and where? 

"I was walking to an event with heels on. There were leaves on the bricks, and I was strutting because I was dressed to impress and my right foot slipped. I fell flat, and my hands hit the ground, but I picked myself up instantly and tried to play it off."

Contributed by Myra Parker.

Qieara Lesesne

Hometown: Goldsboro, North Carolina  

What is your platform 

"My platform is a social justice movement entitled “Her Time.” This was inspired by all of the women that I know personally and know of at UNC. I want to encourage, engage and empower women who are affiliated with UNC such as students, alumni, faculty and staff."

What is your favorite place on campus? 

"The Pit. So much change is enacted inside of the Pit. Voter registration, blood drives, dance marathons, clothing drives, edible gardens, so many great service projects raise awareness in the Pit. It’s a great social environment as it leads social impact. There is no place I can think of that does both at the same time."

Contributed by Qieara Lesesne.

Laura Velazquez

Hometown: Hickory, North Carolina 

What is your platform?

"My platform focuses on Vidas De Esperanza, which is a nonprofit in Siler City, North Carolina. Ascary Arias is the founder of the nonprofit, and he helps coordinate with nursing school students to run a clinic in Siler City. One of the main issues is getting people to the clinic. I want to get a van that can hold around 15 people for those who do not have a way to the clinic." 

What is coolest thing you have seen at UNC? 

"Freshman year, the first snow day. After brunch with some friends in Rams Dining Hall, we went sledding down Skipper Bowles. I’ll never forget seeing the Hinton James versus Craige snowball fight while sledding down the hill."

Contributed by Laura Velazquez.

Amanda Geiger 

Hometown: Valatie, New York 

What is your platform?

"My platform is Hearty Heels. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States, and the only way to fix that is by changing lifestyles in our youth. The goal is to give interactive presentations on heart anatomy and physiology and ideas about healthy diet and exercising to kids in the area. I’ve seen the effects of heart disease firsthand with my dad. He had open heart surgery the end of my sophomore year of college, and I remember that being the hardest time of my life so I am very passionate about preventing this."

Do you remember the first time you tripped on a brick?

"The first time I tripped on a brick was when I was on a tour of the school. It was kind of dramatic, I tripped and almost fell, but thankfully I was able to catch myself." 

Contributed by Amanda Geiger.

Marquise Drayton 

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

What is your platform?

"My platform is Park The Sound, and it is based on free public transportation accessibility. I want to make GoPasses for the GoTriangle buses free or at a reduced price for UNC students. UNC is the only major school in the Triangle area that does not offer all the students free or reduced priced GoPasses."

What’s the coolest thing you have seen at UNC? 

"During my sophomore year I waited outside of Hooker Fields for Barack Obama. He was here on a nationwide tour in support of Hillary Clinton. When he was exiting the stage, I was able to shake his hand. It was pretty dope being that close to the nation's first Black president."

Contributed by Marquise Drayton.

Alton Peques

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

What is your platform?

"My platform is KIDS, an initiative to expose local youth in the area to outlets in which they can be creative. The goal is to expose students to music, theater, arts, technology and overall different ways they can hone in on those skills while they are still in their youth, whether that be professionally or as an outlet for self-growth and personal identity."

What will you miss most about UNC? 

"The people. UNC is home. The environment here is like no other so I am happy every day of this final year knowing I picked the best school for me." 

Contributed by Alton Peques.