Did you know Monterrey has a club attached to it? Neither did we.

salon monterrey
Salon Monterrey is a special events room for Monterrey's Mexican Restaurant, found behind the restaurant in Carrboro. The spacious inside room with it's own kitchen and seating is reserved for large and special occasions.

Since opening its doors three years ago, Salon Monterrey, the club associated with Monterrey Mexican Restaurant located at Carrboro Plaza, has been a venue for celebration and festivity. 

Salon Monterrey is designed to be a space guests can rent and host for a number of celebrations. From wedding receptions and rehearsal dinners to quinceañeras and birthday parties, Salon Monterrey can host any special event. 

Jose Linares, owner and event coordinator of Salon Monterrey, said that he decided to open the business’ doors when he realized the lack of event venues in the area. 

“We saw that there wasn’t anything around here close to Chapel Hill or Carrboro where they could have a party,” Linares said. 

Salon Monterrey is more than just a space to rent and includes a complete event and entertainment coordinating service. 

“There’s two options: people can rent the venue and bring their own catering or caterers, or we can host the whole event, which will include the food and the drinks, the servers, the venue and the decorations,” Linares said. “We include our DJ, our security — even cleanup.” 

Linares said Salon Monterrey is also focused on hosting younger demographics, not just family or corporate functions, by catering to the UNC community. 

Recently, Salon Monterrey has been the venue selected to host many parties and celebrations thrown by groups or organizations associated with the UNC community, like clubs, sororities and fraternities. 

For example, this Friday, Nov. 2 at 10 p.m., an afterparty to the UNC National Pan-Hellenic Council homecoming step show performance is being held at Salon Monterrey. 

Fred Nafukho, event planner for EvidEnt Market Group, said that Salon Monterrey was the best location for the event because of the convenient and nearby location of the venue to the Chapel Hill campus.  

“I didn’t want students from UNC to have to drive somewhere,” Nafukho said. 

The event, a collaboration between EvidEnt Market Group and UNC NPHC, is aimed at bringing college students together to party and have a celebration of the University’s homecoming. Featuring DJ Jaypee, this venue will include music, dancing, drinks and a full club experience. 

“It’s really like a party. There’s a DJ, and everyone is dancing around” said Kiera Peoples, a UNC student and frequent guest of events held at Salon Monterrey.  “It’s a big venue so there’s a lot of people that can fit in there.”