Stressed about exams? Arts Everywhere is giving students three events to help relax

Morrison Art Studio
An art studio will open in the basement of Morrison on Monday. Photo by Emilie Poplett.

Final exam season can be a stressful time of year for students. With long hours of studying, it is easy to get overwhelmed, which is why Arts Everywhere is offering students a week of relaxation that will allow students to de-stress with art-related activities. 

On Nov. 29, Dec. 5 and Dec. 9, Arts Everywhere will host three events that will be open to all students to promote peace and relaxation while including some holiday fun. 

“I’m really excited about these events since everyone will be right in the thick of studying for finals, and having not one, but three possible events to go to makes it easier for people to get what they want out of Arts Everywhere’s week of relaxation,” said Liz Baron, sophomore Arts Everywhere ambassador. 

The first event, held from 3 p.m to 5 p.m. on Nov. 29, is a “Puppy Portraits” drawing class that will include dogs. Students will have the opportunity to play with dogs, eat snacks and draw their furry friends. 

“I thought it would be a great idea to combine something typically comforting, that being interaction with animals, and something creative,” first-year Arts Everywhere ambassador Nina Quevedo said. “Students can come out to cuddle with two shelter dogs that will be brought to Morrison Art Studio through collaboration with Carolina Helping Paws, and at the same time learn how to sketch live figures.”

Dec. 5 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. will be all about spreading holiday cheer through art. This “LDOC Holiday Extravaganza” will include making mugs and ornaments and painting small canvases to help students unwind between exam studying. 

Lastly, Arts Everywhere is inviting students to “Mix It Up” from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 9. This event will include collaging, making a trail mix and creating incense. 

All events will be held at the newly established Morrison Art Studio located on the bottom floor of Morrison Residence Hall. 

Emil Kang, special assistant to the chancellor for the arts, said this studio was created as a partnership between Arts Everywhere, the Art and Art History Department and Carolina Housing to provide all students with access to the arts and to have a dedicated space for creative expression. 

“The mission of this studio, and the broader Arts Everywhere initiative, is to help our campus integrate the arts into the Carolina experience,” Kang said. “Part of that Carolina experience is working through what can be a challenging exam period and end of a term.”

All the events organized for the week of relaxation and the Morrison Art Studio as a whole aim to help students finish off their semester strong by enabling them to have calming study breaks.

“We want students to utilize the arts, and this studio specifically, as a resource for creatively envisioning final projects, learning new skills with their friends and having a creative outlet to de-stress during exams,” Kang said.