COLUMN: These are our Sports Editor's picks for Fedora's replacement. Who are yours?

larry fedora ecu

Larry Fedora speaks to press after UNC-ECU football game on Sept. 8th at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium after a loss of 41-19.

On Sunday, the UNC Department of Athletics made it official — Larry Fedora's time in Chapel Hill is over.

Fedora took over the reins prior to the 2012 season and led the football program to four consecutive bowl appearances. With a berth to the 2015 ACC Championship game as a program high, two consecutive nine-loss seasons ended the head coach's tenure after seven years in charge.

I must say I have mixed feelings in seeing Fedora lose his job. While the team's performance over the last two years certainly merited a change, the head coach always treated me and the reporters around me with respect. However, the coaching business is a tough one; now, it's time to look ahead.

While it's still early in the process, here are five potential candidates to replace Fedora as the next head coach of the North Carolina football team.

Scott Satterfield

This name should not come as a shock to anyone. Satterfield has been the man in charge of the Appalachian State football team for six seasons and has led the program to a 50-24 mark during his tenure. For the first time in program history, the Mountaineers were ranked in the AP Top 25 this season (No. 25) and Satterfield has his squad playing in the inaugural Sun Belt Championship game. 

In his five years at the helm, Satterfield has continuously utilized a run-dependent offense, with his team gaining more yardage on the ground than through the air in each season since 2014. That method of play calling would work well in Chapel Hill, where UNC has four capable running backs to handle the load. In fact, all four tailbacks, from Michael Carter and Antonio Williams to Jordon Brown and Javonte Williams, averaged over four yards a carry and found the end zone at least twice in 2018.

Satterfield recently signed a two-year contract extension on Sept. 21, which would keep him at the school through the 2023 season. However, according to the contract, his buyout would only cost the amount of his base salary, which stands at $425,000 yearly.

If UNC wants to make a big splash in getting back to relevance quickly, I believe Satterfield would be a logical choice — assuming North Carolina can woo him away from his alma mater. He is my top candidate to replace Fedora.

Matt Canada

Amidst the ominous cloud hanging over the Maryland football team following the tragic death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair last May, the Terrapins had a surprisingly encouraging season.

Canada, a former LSU offensive coordinator, guided the Terrapins to a 5-7 record, but that only tells half the story. He got the most out of a team that had experienced an emotional roller coaster for months, and his squad never quit on him. In the season opener, the Terrapins upset then-No. 23 Texas, 34-29. The Longhorns only lost twice more all season and are set to play in the Big 12 Championship game next Saturday. 

His team also went down to the wire against No. 10 Ohio State. In fact, a two-point conversion failure in overtime was all that stood in the way of a huge upset. Canada's decision to go for two points in overtime was a gutsy move and one that would have made him a hero had his quarterback executed the throw. 

If the Tar Heels are looking for a coach with name-brand pedigree, Canada is a great pick.

Brent Venables

Perhaps I am going out on a limb with this particular choice, but Venables would be a fantastic hire for a program that's had continued defensive struggles over the years. 

Since coming over to Clemson in 2012, Venables has turned the Tigers' defensive unit into one of the best in the country. In 2015, he was rewarded for his success by being named a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award and the next year, he won the award. 

In 2017, the Tigers had the second-ranked scoring defense in the country (13.6 points per game) and this season the Tigers have been even better. Opponents are averaging just 14.0 points per game against the potent defense and just 283.2 yards per game, both top-10 in the nation.

Venables is a hot name on the market and is in strong consideration for the Texas Tech position. It would take a lot for the Tar Heels to lure him to Chapel Hill.

Kliff Kingsbury

Hours after Fedora learned he would no longer be retained by North Carolina, Kingsbury was deposed by Texas Tech after six seasons at the helm. Kingsbury made three bowl appearances during his tenure, but three straight losing seasons did him in. 

The 39-year-old head coach was once regarded as a hot commodity in the coaching community — he groomed Patrick Mahomes and Davis Webb, two quarterbacks now in the NFL. Perhaps he could do something similar with a UNC program desperately lacking a quarterback to lead the way.

Mack Brown

Younger fans might not remember Brown, the man who roamed the sidelines from 1988-1997 for UNC. However, he accumulated a 69-46-1 record during his time and his last two years produced a combined 20-3 mark. After leaving the Tar Heel program, Brown went to Texas where he won a National Championship in 2005 as one of nine consecutive 10-win seasons for the Longhorns. 

Now 67 years old, Brown would likely only be in charge for a few seasons at UNC. Rumors abound that former UNC defensive coordinator Gene Chizik could join Brown as the coach in waiting to run the defense. Brown is certainly a nostalgic pick, but I believe the Tar Heels should look ahead to the future instead of turning back to the past with the next head coach of the North Carolina football team.

@christrenkle2