Press Coverage with Anson Dorrance, part one

UNC women's soccer head coach Anson Dorrance looks on during his team's 2-0 win over Ohio State on Aug. 19 at Finley Fields South. The victory was his 1,000th in a decorated career.

The fall semester might be over, but that doesn’t mean the gang in the studio quits working.

On this week’s edition of Press Coverage, Brian Keyes and Keaton Eberly sit down with North Carolina women’s soccer head coach Anson Dorrance in part one of a two-part episode as they talk with the U.S. Soccer Hall-of-Famer about the Tar Heels’ most recent run to the NCAA women’s soccer National Championship. UNC inevitably lost 1-0 to Florida State in the title game.

Dorrance breaks down women’s soccer recruiting and just how exactly Florida State acquires the international talent the Seminoles have on its championship-winning roster. In addition to this thorough analysis, Dorrance explains how the Tar Heels has been expanding  their recruiting pipeline overseas as well. 

Keyes and Eberly also hear about the amount of importance that this year’s group of seniors had to the program as a whole — beyond just their on-the-field contributions. Dorrance also compares UNC’s graduating class with the senior group from two years ago, which  also made a successful run to the College Cup.

“The graduation of our seniors isn’t just the loss of three or four starters, it’s the loss of a leadership culture,” Dorrance said. “The main part of the loss isn’t just the starters because we will get back Alessia Russo in the nine, but it’s losing their extraordinary  leadership culture and positive chemistry and their spirit, and that’s what I’m going to miss most.” 

Stay tuned for part two with the winningest coach in collegiate soccer history.