Students in the arts bridge gaps to make the "Arts for Everyone"

rocky horror

The A Cast for UNC Pauper Players presentation of The Rocky Horror Picture Show rehearsed on Tuesday night for their opening show on Friday Oct. 26, 2018 at Varsity Theatre. Members of the group have spearheaded the creation of an "Arts for Everyone" forum. 

From experimental theater to Latin dance, UNC students in the arts are working to make arts groups connect on campus — and “get woke to the arts,” in the words of some members. 

Several students gathered Tuesday to discuss how to encourage communication across arts groups and brainstorm for a showcase later this year they currently plan to call, “Arts for Everyone.” Though UNC Pauper Players members Bailey Elrod and Molly Miller spearheaded the forum, they said they wanted it to go beyond the group and even the performing arts community to include all forms of art. 

“Arts for Everyone” is planned for March 7 in the Great Hall of the Student Union—Elrod and Miller said they hope it showcases a wide variety of artistic talent. Though students debated the length and style of the showcase and reception, they agreed that it should be about “arts supporting arts” at UNC. 

“If it reaches the whole student population that’s dope as hell, but supporting each other was our initial thought here,” Miller said. 

Though the group discussed ways in which the “Arts for Everyone” showcase could be modeled after FallFest by including both performances and opportunities for engagement with artists, Elrod said. She wants to ensure that performers get the attention they deserve and are not just in the background. 

Nick Bafia, who is involved in film on campus and helped start Bafia-Stamas Productions, proposed a unique way of encouraging the audience to interact with artists. He suggested that the audience gather signatures of artists before getting free pizza. Bafia said he is not sure of that specific plan but wants the showcase to start communication between artists in some way. 

“I just want everyone to consume the art before consuming the food,” Bafia said. 

There were no representatives present from visual arts groups on campus, but several students at the forum brought up ideas to incorporate visual art into the showcase and ensure that it is not only for performers. 

“When designing this event, it’s hard to remove our implicit biases against visual arts and stuff like that, from a very performance-heavy perspective,” Anish Pinnamaraju, a student involved in LAB! Theater, said. 

The students discussed using the reception area of the showcase visual art, though they want to be careful in ensuring that people actually absorb the art and do not just bypass it on their way to watch performances. 

A second forum will occur on Thursday to further explore the topic. Miller and Elrod said they hope to see more representation from a variety of groups to get as many perspectives as possible. 

Beyond the showcase in March, some students expressed interest in expanding “Arts for Everyone” to include a listserv of all UNC students involved in the arts and a student newsletter detailing performances and auditions for different groups. They also proposed a "classifieds" section for groups to advertise for jobs — like theater troupes who are looking for set builders. 

“And that’s the point of connecting,” Elrod said. “So we can utilize and support each other and make some good art.”