UNC women's tennis sweeps ECU, 7-0, behind strong all-around performance

Makenna Jones tennis

Junior Makenna Jones prepares to serve during a singles match against East Carolina University at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, NC on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2019. Jones won both sets in the match.

The No. 2 North Carolina women’s tennis team defeated East Carolina on Wednesday, with a score of 7-0. Competing in Chapel Hill at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center, UNC continued its undefeated season and junior Alexa Graham continued playing with the same energy that led her to win a USTA Women’s National Open Championship in December.

UNC (3-0) and ECU (0-2) played a total of six singles matches and three doubles matches. The Tar Heels dominated the court in both singles and doubles, and in singles alone didn’t allow the Pirates to win a single set.

Singles

In the first singles match of the evening, junior Makenna Jones beat Lisa Hofbauer by a score of 6-4, 6-1. Similarly, Graham won against Alisa Diercksen, 6-1, 6-4. Additionally, senior Jessie Aney beat Nastja Rettich, 6-3, 6-2, and senior Chloe Ouellet-Pizer won against Hsia Ho Chiao, 6-1, 6-4.

However, first-year Cameron Morra and sophomore Alle Sanford both won their matches without allowing their opponents from ECU to win any games in the second set. Morra defeated Minette Van Vreden, 6-2, 6-0, and Sanford beat Martina Paladini-Jennings, 6-3, 6-0.

Doubles

During the doubles matches, UNC showed high levels of endurance and teamwork. The match between Jones and Morra and Hofbauer and Diercksen saw the Tar Heels come out on top with a score of 7-6 (7-3). Also, Graham and junior Sara Daavettila defeated Van Vreden and Paladini-Jennings, 6-0.

In a doubles match that ended in an unfinished tie, Aney and Sanford kept competing against Rettich and Ho Chiao until the match was called after UNC clinched the doubles point by winning the other two matches. The match ended unfinished, and in a deadlock at 6-6 (6-6).

Graham stood out the most against ECU, bringing with her the same spirit and competitiveness that she used to win the USTA Women’s National Open Championship on Dec. 31. Fighting against the Pirates in singles she added another match win to her stellar career record. Graham’s dominance continued in doubles as she and partner Daavettila swept their opponent.

The win against ECU was important for the Tar Heels, because it allows them to build momentum moving through the offseason and into conference play. As UNC moves on to play against tougher competition, notably No. 1 Vanderbilt on Feb. 2, it can use this win to pinpoint and work on problems that have the potential to harm them.

The Tar Heels host the ITA kick-off weekend in Chapel Hill starting on Jan. 26, where they face off against Virginia Commonwealth at noon.

@markburnett1234