UNC baseball defeats Xavier 8-3, clinches first series win of season

baseball scrimmage
Outfielder Cameran Brantley (28) bats against the Blue team during an intrasquad Navy vs. Blue scrimmage Sunday Oct. 14, 2018 in Boshomer Stadium. The Blue team defeated the Navy team 6-2.

The No. 7 North Carolina baseball team (2-0) beat Xavier (0-2) on Saturday, clinching its first series win of the 2019 season.  

On a rainy and cold day at Boshamer Stadium, the Tar Heels took on Xavier in the second game of a three-game series, after winning the first game 12-3 on Friday. 

On the mound for the Tar Heels was right-handed pitcher Tyler Baum, who made his first start of the season. 

With two outs in the bottom of the first inning, North Carolina’s Aaron Sabato hit a 383-foot home run over the wall in right-center field, the only hit of the inning, to give the Tar Heels an early 1-0 lead.

Xavier scored its first run of the game in the top of the third. To open the inning, Xavier’s Kody Darcy hit a double into centerfield. Xavier’s Chris Givin then hit a single into center field, and Darcy was able to score from second and tie the game at 1-1. 

The score remained tied until the top of the fifth. With one out and two men on base Xavier’s Jake Shepski hit a sacrifice fly to center field, and a run scored, giving Xavier the lead, 2-1. 

North Carolina bounced back in the bottom of the sixth, however. With two men on base and two outs, Jackson Hesterlee hit a triple down the right field line and drove in two runs.  The Tar Heels regained the lead, 3-2.  

After taking the lead, the Tar Heels kept rolling offensively.  In the bottom of the seventh with two men on base, Freeman hit a single through the right side and advanced to second on an error, and drove in a run.  

They were not finished quite yet, however. In the bottom of the eight with two men on base, junior Michael Busch hit a three-run home run to center field to give UNC a comfortable 8-2 lead in the late stages of the game. 

From there, North Carolina gave up one run in the ninth, but was able to cruise to the victory, 8-3. 

In just his second collegiate game, Sabato hit a solo home run, over the wall in right-center field, to give his team an early lead.  In addition to Sabato, Busch also hit a three-run home run of his own in the bottom of the seventh. 

On the mound, Baum picked up his first win of the season. Through 6 innings, Baum gave up seven hits and two runs while recording zero walks and seven strikeouts.  

After North Carolina fell behind Xavier 2-1 in the fifth inning, they bounced back and took the lead in the sixth. When Hesterlee hit a triple to right field and drove in two North Carolina runs to make the score, 4-2, the Tar Heels never looked back.  Throughout the rest of the game, North Carolina scored four more runs, while Xavier only scored one. 

This was North Carolina’s second win, and first series win of the 2019 season. In addition, North Carolina won their 20th consecutive game at Boshamer Stadium, which is the longest current home winning streak in the nation.  

The Tar Heels will finish their series against Xavier on Sunday at 11 a.m. Then, the team will gear up for a matchup with in-state opponent NC A&T on Tuesday.

@TorreNetkovick