Bill Roper names Kevin Guskiewicz as interim UNC Chancellor

Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Kevin Guskiewicz and the Faculty Executive Committee discussed increasing interdisciplinarity in a June 2016 meeting.

Interim UNC-system President Bill Roper has named Kevin Guskiewicz as interim chancellor of UNC, according to a statement from the UNC system. 

"It is an honor to be asked to lead the nation's first public university into the next chapter of its storied history," Guskiewicz said in a statement. 

Since 2016, Guskiewicz has been the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, a college that has over 70 academic departments, programs, institutes and centers. The college has over 17,000 undergraduates and 2,400 graduate students. 

A member of UNC's faculty since 1995, Guskiewicz is a neuroscientist and nationally recognized expert on sports-related concussions, the press release says, and is currently a principal co-investigator on three active research grants, totaling over $16 million. 

"I strongly believe Kevin is the best person to lead UNC-Chapel Hill," Roper said in a statement. 

His appointment is effective immediately and comes almost a week after former Chancellor Carol Folt's official resignation on Jan. 31. 

On Jan. 14, Folt announced plans to resign at the end of the academic year, but the UNC-system Board of Governors voted to make her resignation effective at the end of January. It was Roper's responsibility to find a replacement for the vacant position. 

In an email sent to students, Guskiewicz said it is a privelege to lead the University. 

"The promise of what we will accomplish together energizes and excites me," he said. "We will build on our current momentum — the Campaign for Carolina has just surpassed the $2.4 billion mark, research funding has reached new highs, and we received a record-setting 44,784 undergraduate admissions applications for the class of 2023." 

He said he is inspired by the commitment, imagination and brilliance that take place across our community.

"During the coming weeks, I will meet with students, faculty and staff to hear what’s on your minds," he said. 

UNC Board of Trustees Chairperson Haywood Cochrane said in a statement that the Board is excited about the choice of Guskiewicz as interim chancellor. 

"As a longtime faculty member, administrator and researcher, Dr. Guskiewicz is a rising star at Carolina," he said. "He brings a demonstrated strength in leadership, a keen understanding of our vital educational mission and strategic goals, and a deep love for our University to the role of interim chancellor.”

@MyahWard

More in Student Life

More in University

More in Carol Folt