You can see eight UNC a cappella groups at this Carolina For The Kids benefit

Clef Hangers Jordon Reynolds
Sophomore Jordon Reynolds, undecided major and president of the Clef Hangers, belts out a solo at the UNC Clef Hangers Winter Jam Annual A Cappella Invitational on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019 at the Historic Playmakers Theatre.

Get a taste of "Pitch Perfect" with this year’s A Cappella Jam on March 1. Attendees will see performances by eight of the a cappella groups on campus— including the UNC Loreleis, Tar Heel Voices, the Achordants, Cadence, the Clef Hangers, Walk Ons and the Tarpeggios — as they perform to raise money for Carolina for the Kids.

This event, hosted by Christian a cappella group Psalm 100, is one of the few opportunities where students can see several of UNC’s singing groups perform at the same event.

“Most groups have their concerts in the fall and the spring, but this is a compilation of all the groups and part of their concerts,” said junior Jeremiah Rhodes, administrative director for Psalm 100. “It’s a special time to get to hear them.” 

Rhodes said this event has occurred annually since he has been a member and that every year his group goes through extensive planning to get as many groups together as possible. He said Psalm 100 has a mission to raise money for a good cause by donating all of the ticket profits to Carolina for the Kids.

First-year Vinay Kathard, business manager for the Clef Hangers, said this is the first time his group is performing at this Jam and that fans can expect another set full of Clef Hanger fan-favorite songs. He said his group was excited to get involved because it wanted to give back to the UNC community that has been supportive over the years. 

“The event cause for Carolina for the Kids I think is really important,” Kathard said. “The way that Psalm 100 kind of created the event of the Jam was to give to Carolina for the Kids with this fundraiser, but also in donating to the cause, you’re getting to see not only one group out of the University, but all the others.” 

Junior Emma Wilson, business manager for Tar Heel Voices, said that the Jam is one of the group’s favorite gigs because it can build connections with other a cappella groups on campus while having a fun time and raising money for an important cause. 

“Having an output that actually impacts a group of people by raising money is just really rewarding,” Wilson said. “Being able to put in work and go to the event and see all of these people come together I think is a really positive experience and an uplifting way to spend a Friday night.”