Four-run sixth inning paces Miami past UNC baseball in game one

Gianluca Dalatri Aaron Sabato Xavier
Junior pitcher Gianluca Dalatri (42) throws the ball to first-year first baseman Aaron Sabato (19) during UNC's 12-3 win against Xavier on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019.

The No. 14 North Carolina baseball team suffered its fourth straight loss in ACC play on Friday. Miami used a four-run sixth inning to power past the Tar Heels 6-4.

The Tar Heels (14-5, 0-4 ACC) cruised through the first three innings on the back of their starting pitcher, junior Gianluca Dalatri. However, Dalatri ran into trouble in the top of the fourth inning.

Miami’s first two batters of the inning singled to put runners on first and second with no outs. The Hurricanes’ Raymond Gil then blasted the ball to left field for a double that was inches from going over the wall.

Gil’s double off the wall brought in one run and advanced a runner to third. The next batter then hit a sacrifice fly to give Miami (15-3, 3-1 ACC) a 2-0 lead.

The excitement continued in the bottom half of the frame. First-year Aaron Sabato, who had five hits in UNC’s last two games, hit a 415-foot solo home run to put the Tar Heels on the board.

In the fifth inning, junior catcher Brandon Martorano reached on an error, then advanced to third base on a fielder's choice. Junior third baseman Michael Busch then hit a ball that landed just under the diving left fielder’s glove. That brought in Martorano to tie the game.

The Hurricanes responded in the top of the sixth inning with two straight singles that prompted head coach Mike Fox to make a pitching change.

Dalatri pitched five innings and allowed three earned runs on eight hits. First-year Will Sandy took the mound and struggled with his accuracy, walking two of the four batters he faced.

The first batter Sandy faced hit an infield single to load the bases with no outs. The next batter then hit a ground ball to the shortstop, who got the out at third base, but gave up a run. Sandy then walked the next batter to load the bases again

Miami added another run on a passed ball, then Sandy walked the next batter. Fox had enough and brought in sophomore Ben Casparius to pitch.

The Hurricanes continued to rack up the free bases in the inning when Casparius walked the first batter he faced, which brought in a run. The next batter then hit a sacrifice fly to give Miami a 6-2 lead. Casparius then got a fly out to end the long inning.

The Tar Heels responded in the bottom half of the inning by working the bases loaded with no outs. It paid off for them as two straight ground balls that resulted fielder’s choices made it a 6-4 game.

A walk then forced a Miami pitching change with the top of UNC’s lineup coming up. The new pitcher for the Hurricanes walked his first opponent to load the bases yet again. He then got Busch to hit a deep fly out to center field.

The 57-minute sixth inning was finally brought to an end.

Casparius got out of the top of the seventh inning with no damage done. Miami then brought in a new pitcher to start the bottom half of the inning who got three straight outs.

Another pitching change for the Tar Heels to start the eighth inning brought sophomore Caden O’Brien to the mound. O’Brien made quick work of the Hurricanes, getting them to go three up, three down.

The Tar Heels then earned two walks in the bottom half of the frame but couldn’t do anything with the runners on base, sending the game to the ninth inning with the Hurricanes in front 6-4.

O’Brien made quick work of the Hurricanes to bring UNC’s two, three and four hitters to the plate needing to score at least two runs.

Miami’s closer shut down the heart of the Tar Heels’ order, working a three up, three down ninth inning.

Gil impressed for the Hurricanes. The third baseman went 3-3 and set the tone in the fourth inning with his RBI double off the wall.

The Miami bullpen also had a strong outing. The three relievers for the Hurricanes threw a combined 3.1 innings and allowed no runs on just one hit.

For the Tar Heels, Sabato continued his hot streak. The first-year went 2-4 with 2 RBIs.

In the top half of the fourth inning, Miami exploded for four runs to take a 6-2 lead. The Tar Heels could never recover from this deficit.

UNC has still not won an ACC game. The Tar Heels have two more opportunities against Miami this weekend to get in the win column.

North Carolina will continue its series against Miami on Saturday with first pitch coming at 3 p.m. 

@matt_chilson