Nathan Elliott to transfer to Arkansas State, pursue graduate assistant position

UNC v Pittburgh, Nathan Elliott

Junior quarterback Nathan Elliott (11) throws the ball against Pittsburgh on Saturday, Sept. 22. UNC defeated Pittsburgh 38-35 at Kenan Memorial Stadium.

Nathan Elliott, who started nine games at quarterback for North Carolina the 2018 season as a redshirt junior, is transferring to Arkansas State to pursue a graduate assistant position after already getting his degree from the University. Elliott made the announcement on Twitter Friday morning. 

UNC finished the season 2-9, and only managed one ACC win in 2018, a season spent with Elliott mostly at the helm. Elliott threw for 2,169 yards on the season, including 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions. The 2-9 season ended with the firing of former head coach Larry Fedora, who recruited Elliott to North Carolina. 

Internal competition at the quarterback position seemingly had Elliott's role in jeopardy. Last year, Elliott was replaced at points by his backups. Against Virginia Tech, first-year Cade Fortin stepped in for Elliott for the start, only to suffer an injury. Even after Fortin's injury, Fedora's staff tapped first-year Jace Ruder to replace him during a game against Georgia Tech. But Elliott once again had to step back in for his replacement, as Ruder, too, went down with an injury.  

In 2019, Elliott would have faced even more competition from incoming first-year Sam Howell of Sun Valley High School. The 2019 four-star recruit is the third-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the class, and is the all-time leader in total offense in North Carolina.

Elliott ends his North Carolina career with 3,149 yards, 21 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in 18 games. 

@holtmckeithan