Hannah George shines as UNC softball commands mercy-rule win over UNC Charlotte

Hannah George Northwestern
Hannah George (42) swings against Northwestern on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 in Anderson Stadium.

The North Carolina softball team defeated UNC Charlotte, 9-0, on Tuesday. 

The Tar Heels were led by first-year Hannah George who pitched five shutout innings and added seven RBIs at the plate.

George started the scoring for the Tar Heels (9-8) in the bottom of the first inning with a grand slam. The 49ers’ (7-9) pitcher then walked the next batter, which prompted an early pitching change.

George had another chance in the second inning with bases loaded and came through again. The first-year pitcher added two RBIs to her name to bring her total on the day to six and give the Tar Heels a 6-0 lead — with plenty of time to go.

UNC’s scoring onslaught didn’t stop there. The Tar Heels tacked on two more runs on an RBI single by senior Kiani Ramsey in the third inning. 

In the fourth inning, George then continued to impress and blasted another homerun over the left field wall. That made it 9-0 in favor of the Tar Heels on just nine hits all day — three which came from George. 

George was also electric on the mound in her seventh start for UNC. She pitched five scoreless innings and gave up just two hits all day. She completed her complete game shutout in the top of the fifth inning and gave UNC the win via mercy rule. 

George was the star for UNC all game. On the mound, she threw five innings and allowed no runs on two hits, giving the Tar Heels their second shutout of the season. Her performance on the mound was crucial because the Tar Heels’ ace starter, junior Brittany Pickett, did not start and had a cast on her right wrist.

George helped her own cause and went 3-3 with two home runs and a double at the plate. She knocked in seven RBIs at the plate during that stretch — which ties a UNC single-game RBI record. Her two home runs in the win were also her second and third-career homers at UNC. 

The game was decided when UNC went up 8-0 in the bottom of the third inning. That put the mercy rule in effect, and with George dominating on the mound, all but ended the game.

The Tar Heels were coming off of a 2-1 weekend at the Carolina Classic when UNC earned two big victories over Maryland and Florida Atlantic but suffered a head-scratching loss to George Washington.

After winning three straight, it was important for UNC to come into ACC play on a high note. The team had a confidence win on Tuesday, particularly for Hannah George. George's day at the plate and from the mound was noteworthy as she made sure no 49ers could do what she'd been doing at the plate.

The Tar Heels will kick off ACC play with a three-game series at Duke this weekend. The first game of the series will start of 5 p.m. on Friday.

@matt_chilson