Several Tar Heels set career highs at Florida Relays and Raleigh Relays this weekend

Nicole Greene

Nicole Greene competes in the high jump during the Dick Taylor Carolina Cup on Jan. 13 in Eddie Smith Field House. Greene won UNC's first individual national championship since 2007 at the 2018 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

The North Carolina track and field team competed in the Florida Relays and NC State’s Raleigh Relays this weekend. 

On the first day of the Florida Relays, sophomore Madison Wiltrout threw 52.45 meters in the women’s javelin to set a new career-high. Sophomore Dontavian Smith ran a season-high in the men’s 100-meter with a time of 10.69 seconds. Sophomore Isaiah Palmer finished the men’s 400-meter in 46.62 seconds, placing third fastest for men’s in the ACC. 

During the first day of competition in Raleigh, redshirt junior Nicole Greene jumped a career-high 1.85 meters in the women’s high jump. Junior Brandon Tubby ran a personal best of 3:44.53 in the men’s 1,500 meter. Redshirt sophomore Luke Peterson also ran a personal best in the men’s 1,500 meter with a time of 3:51.32. Junior Erin Edmundson ran a career-high of 4:27.74 in the women’s 1,500 meter and placed 11th in the women’s 800-meter with a 2:10.30.

Graduate student Nick Golebiowski ran a lifetime-best of 29:49.30 in the 10,000 meter to open his final NCAA season. In the men’s long jump, first-year Kenan Hartung hit a season-high of 4.80 meters. 

On the second day of competition, sophomore Peighton Simmons opened her outdoor season with a mark of 12.42 meters in triple jump in the Florida Relays. In Raleigh, sophomore Jill Shippee threw a 64.65 meters in the women’s hammer throw. Alex Milligan, Marshall Williamson, Peterson and Tubby won the men’s 4x1500 relay with a time of 15:42.57. In the women’s hammer throw final, graduate student Alex Cooke threw 56.91 meters. 

Wiltrout continues to impress during her debut season, her performance in women’s javelin in the Florida Relays being no different. Wiltrout set the fifth-best mark in UNC history and cemented a spot in the NCAA top-10. 

Greene’s high jump performance in the Raleigh Relays moved her up in the record books to tying third-all time in UNC history. Greene is tied for first-place in NCAA Division I for women’s high jump and holds first place in the ACC. 

Shippee broke her own UNC record for the second time with her impressive performance in women’s hammer throw. She first set the UNC hammer throw record after throwing 63.19 meters at the Virginia Challenge in 2018, which she broke at the USATF Junior Outdoor Championships  with a 64.16. She broke that record with a 64.65 meters at the Raleigh Relays. 

Three Tar Heel women — Shippee,  Greene and Wiltrout — have hit NCAA top marks during the 2019 outdoor season. 

North Carolina will compete in the Battle of the Blues against Duke in Durham on Saturday, April 6. 

@savannahbhunt