UNC women's basketball signs four-star guard Kennady Tucker for 2019 season

Womens basketball bench ACC Notre Dame
UNC women's basketball players cheer on their teammates from the bench during the second round of the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, N.C. on Friday, March 8, 2019. UNC lost to Notre Dame 95-77.

The North Carolina women's basketball team received a boost for the 2019 season on Wednesday afternoon.

Kennady Tucker, a four-star guard for the class of 2019, signed her national letter of intent to play for North Carolina next season per a GoHeels release. Tucker had previously announced her commitment on Feb. 21 via her Twitter.

Tucker is 5-foot-10 and rated as the No. 25 player in the country by the All Star Girls Report. As a a senior at North Little Rock High School in in Little Rock, Ark., she averaged 12.6 points per game, 4.3 rebounds, 2.9 steals and 2.8 assists.

Tucker's commitment is a bright spot amid turmoil for the program, as head coach Sylvia Hatchell and her entire coaching staff were placed on paid leave on April 1. The university is investigating reports of racist remarks made by the coaching staff, and the program is currently under review.

Tucker will be much needed, as she will join a roster depleted by transfers. Redshirt juniors Stephanie Watts and Destinee Walker, redshirt sophomore Jocelyn Jones and walk-on Kennedy Boyd all submitted their names to the transfer portal on April 2.

Upon signing the national letter of intent, Tucker had positive things to say about the program.

"I chose North Carolina because I felt that I would be able to succeed on and off the court," she said, according to the GoHeels release. "The people are incredibly nice and its a place where I can excel and accomplish my goals."